• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Evacuees from Clifton Road School Balsall Heath

C

chrissied8

My sister Patricia is trying to find records of her evacuation in 1939/1940. She can remember having to line up outside her school in Clifton Road and thinks she may have been sent to Shenstone. Can anyone throw any more light on this? Help much appreciated.

Hi there,
I was searching for the Clifton Rd School website the other night and found one which had a list of evacuees on it. There was only one page on the website but presumably the school has more pages. The web address is https://www.cliftonprimary.bham.sch.uk/pdfs/clifton-history.pdf
As it happened I found my friend's father listed on the evacuee list. Sadly her Dad has passed away, but I will ask my friend if she knows anything about where the Clifton Rd evacuees went.
Regards
Jenny

Hi JennyL

Many thanks for this. Disappointingly, my sister's name is not on the one page shown for the evacuee's but as you say, the school may have others. Anyway, I'm sure my sister will love reading all the information on the link. I recognise Mr Petherick's name as someone she spoke of and I think she will be amazed too. Once again, many thanks for the link.:)

Hi Chrissied8,
I am going to Clifton Rd school in the morning with my 90 year old Dad. (It is my Dad who is the ex pupil) They are launching a book about memories of Balsall Heath and I think they have put some of my Dad's memories in the book. While I am there, I will see if there is anything I can find out for you and get back to you tomorrow night.
Regards
Jenny

Hi again Jenny,

Thanks again for any info you may get. My sister's name was Patricia Holland and is now 74yrs and lived in Homer Street with Mom (Dad was POW for 6yrs) and my other sister who is 2 yrs younger prior to and during the war. I was born in 1947 and only lived there for 12mts so I don't have any memories of the area.

Class photo from David Rock at Clifton Road school circa 1955. I'm the big fella on the right at the back, David is at the front of the class.

Graham.

Hi
Further to the classroom picture forwarded by Graham others in the picture are Ann Savin, Carol Eccleston, Susan Middleton,Andee Sewell, Dave Thomas, Alan Chance, Robert Gough & Ray Simmonds. I also think Joy Hawker is on as well, her brother was one of the original Ivy League group from the 60's.
Wish some of them would get in touch, I know both Graham & myself would love to meet up again.
Cheers
Dave Rock

Hi
Further to the classroom picture forwarded by Graham others in the picture are Ann Savin, Carol Eccleston, Susan Middleton,Andee Sewell, Dave Thomas, Alan Chance, Robert Gough & Ray Simmonds. I also think Joy Hawker is on as well, her brother was one of the original Ivy League group from the 60's.
Wish some of them would get in touch, I know both Graham & myself would love to meet up again.
Cheers
Dave Rock

That would be nice David, Dave Thomas I remember very well, Graham.

Back