• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Evacuee Records For Canterbury Road School 1939

alison0001

I can't find my Dad anywhere on the 1939 census. I've found his parents and grandparents, but unable to find him or his brother anywhere! They would have been 6 and 9 in 1939, and they were both evacuated, however the addresses that they know they were at don't list them there.

We've requested a data protection search and that came back with nothing too! Is there any way we can find their evacuation records? My Dad was at Canterbury Road school at the time in Perry Barr.

When did evacuation start? I'm not sure it was before 1940.
Some of my family's children in the 1939 records were to be found staying with aunts and uncles just round the corner from their parents on the count day.

Any records will be subject to the 100 year closure. Any one alive is not shown on 1939 list. Does "data protection" overwrite this?

Last edited:
Hi All,
The evacuation started on Friday 1st September 1939. I was evacuated on that day to Evesham with other pupils from Waverley Grammar School. We had ,at the most, 48 hours notice. This was because Hitler, whose army had invaded Poland a short time before, had failed to respond to an ultimatum from Britain who had a treaty with Poland. We did not know where we going until we got there. The actual war with Germany was, of course, started at 11am on Sunday 3rd September 1939 with a speech by the prime minister Neville Chamberlain. Like many evacuees I returned home after a few weeks. I was quite well treated but missed my Mom and Dad.
Old Boy
When did evacuation start? I'm not sure it was before 1940.
Some of my family's children in the 1939 records were to be found staying with aunts and uncles just round the corner from their parents on the count day.

Back