• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Evacuee from Burbury St School

Old Brummy

master brummie
Hello all Just up a bit earlier and having gone around the usual Compter rounds etc have found time to browse thru the BHF. I was evacuated onFriday the 1st of September. I was 12 years old at the time and do remember some parts of it very well. We assembled at the school and had name tags attached etc and we wallked to the old GWR station at Hockley. Walked up the stairway to the platform Got on atrain as told and finished up at Abergavenny.
The staion there is a bit out of the town so we marched in a little convoy with name tags and the Gas Masks in the cardboard box with the string attacked etc ,down to the Main Street in the town. Passing by a greengrocers shop and helping ourselves to a little fruit we arrived at the Market Hall,
It was getting a little late in the afternoon and food was being handed out like mad and we were all sorted out into small groups to be carted off to our new foster homes.
The organisation I suppose was quite good when there had been no dress rehearsal at all for the big event . I was eventually whisked away in a motor carwith 2 other boys around the same age to a Village called Llanvihangel Crucorney which was about 5 miles along the road towards Hereford.
As I sit here writing this I wonder if anyone else reading this was on that same train.. I will write some more later so cheers for now Old Brummy

What a lovely graphic memory of the time I found it fascinating I do hope others will share there memories. I know my cousin (who sadly is no longer with us) was also shipped off from Brum to South Wales she became ill while there and my granny had to go on the train to fetch her home. Her Mom couldn't go as she was busy with war work at Kynocks. I am so glad I listened to the older people in my family.
There must be a few evacuee's out there.

What a lovely graphic memory of the time I found it fascinating I do hope others will share there memories. I know my cousin (who sadly is no longer with us) was also shipped off from Brum to South Wales she became ill while there and my granny had to go on the train to fetch her home. Her Mom couldn't go as she was busy with war work at Kynocks. I am so glad I listened to the older people in my family.
There must be a few evacuee's out there.

Yes absolutely; my mom was an evacuee too, so I would love to hear both yours and other people’s stories and experiences.

Great story,my mum was also evacuated in 1939/40,unfortunately I lost her 5 years ago and wish I had found out more of her childhood,she was sent to Etwall in Derbyshire.A couple of months ago I went to visit it and bumped into a lady who had lived their all her life,probably mid to late 80s,and she remembered all the Brummies being placed in the farms and going to the local primary school.She told me about the how the locals were taught in the morning and the evacuees in the afternoon,and seeing Birmingham being bombed constantly After a few teething problems they all seemed to get on together..Unfortunately she did not recall my mom, but it did give me an idea of her time there.Coincidentally the lady married a Brummie who had been sent to do agricultural work during the war,love at first sight and still together 60 years on.

What a lovely story. I am so glad you managed to find out a bit more about your Mom's evacuation. I lost my Mom 6 years ago and I am pleased I spent many hours chatting before she died and have retained the information. How lovely you could visit Etwall and find a kind soul with so much info. How lovely she married a Brummy lad and they are still together...

We stood talking her for ages and her memory was superb,she also told me she was a member of the local history and there was a possibility that the local school may still have some registers etc, but the primary school reception were less than helpful,but I will contact the history group and see what I can find out.My partner thought it was a very romantic story too,lady said her husband wasn't fit enough to go to war so the sent him and other Brummies to work on the land,he was only 18ish and she 16 I think.I wished I'd ask my mom more questions and got more information.Strangely enough my father's mom wouldn't let any of her children go,and she was a widow with 8 or 9 kids,a strong and resourceful lady indeed....

Hello everyone I am very new to this and trying to find out as much as I can about my family. My mom and dad went to Burbury Street School and my mom was evacuated to South Wales she would have been around 12 at the time. I was born in Wheelers Street not sure where my mom was born but I know it was Birmingham. She would mention places like Summer Lane, Lozells, Aston her name was Lily Bannister then she married my dad and became Lily Mann. Sadly both my parents have passed away and not many family members left but I am trying to find as much info as I can. We also lived on Warwick Road and Castle Bromwich.

Great story old Brummy,that is real social history,it's what people need to know.I wasn't evacuated but my cousins who lived up the same yard were,they went to Wales.The joke always was, I was the lucky one,being allowed to stay in Aston and get bombed.Although I was sort of evacuated on the 17.5.1941,after a bad raid my granny rescued me and took me to her council house in Harborne for a time.I still have all my evacuation papers even the little label and safety pin,for my overcoat.The were posted on the forum some time ago,but can't find them.

One of my sisters who is 10 years older than me was evacauated to Worksop, Nottinghamshire, when she first went she was taken in at the "big house" but were looked after by the staff and slept in the servants quarters. After a while the family said they needed the space for relatives. My sister was then sent to a farm the people were called Tattersalls, although I was only about 3 or 4 years old I remember going with mom & dad to visit her once. She kept in touch with the family over the years, especially one daughter Mary who later married a farmer. In 1992 whilst on holiday in Portugal we met a lady and her auntie who came from there, and the auntie remembered a lot of people from my sister's time there.

Back