• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Evacuee Children in Shropshire

Morturn

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was out yesterday in Atcham, Shropshire exploring churchyards, talking to the Church Warden about a Pub down the road called The Riverside Inn at Cound.

She said it used to be called the Lodge Inn, then in the war was tuned into a girls school for girls from Birmingham, after the war it was turned back into a pub. She went on to say a number of these schools were set up in the area in the same way.

This got me thinking; I know my mother was evacuated to South Wales during the war; she was billeted with a family on a farm. She would have been of school age, so what provisions were made to continue the evacuated children’s educational needs going.

A sudden input of large amounts of school children to a rural area would have overwhelmed the local schools, so were many of these temporary schools set up?

Does anyone have any memories they could share about school life as an evacuee?

Quite a nice church, here is a picture I took yesterday, yes the walls are sloping outwards

Atchem-Church-4.jpg

Hi All,

I was evacuated to Evesham from Waverley Grammar School on 1st September 1939. Evacuation was by no means compulsory and about half the school stayed in Brum. Those of us who went to Evesham shared with the local Prince Henry Grammar School. We went to school from 8am to 12.30pm and the locals went from 1.30pm to 6pm I only stayed for about 2 months and then returned home and to Waverley. Gradually most of the evacuees returned and subsequently those who stayed joined up with the pupils of Prince Henry and had normal school hours.

When the blitz started there was a second evacuation but far fewer children went. The general feeling was that the family should stay together whatever happened.

Old Boy

Last edited:
Back