• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Evacuation to Blackwell

rowan

Born a Brummie
My brother was evacuated to Blackwell during the war ............. is there anyone else who went there? Are there any photos please?

No it was not the Lake District Sue, it was a big house in Blackwell Bromsgrove. I believe t could be seen from the train as it went up the 'Licky Bank'

Not much help but my Mother was sent to Blackwell in the late fifties, following a heart attack, to convalesce. I remember the long bus ride on the Midland Red with my Sister when we visited.

There were two open air schools in Blackwell, Hunters Hill for the boys and opposite was Cropwood for the girls, they were houses that were donated by the Cadbury family to Birmingham council, maybe he was sent to the boys school.
Regards trebor (Rita)

06-10-2012 15;37;14.jpg

Blackwell Court about 20 years ago in Bromsgrove I have spent a few weekends here under canvass as a Guider, they have wonderful facilities and yes it was a convalescent home prior to becoming a Guides and Scouts Centre.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the one in Worcestershire near to Bromsgrove, there are quite a few dotted around the country, including Warwickshire. Thanks for editing my thread ChrisM, I was in a hurry and made a bit of a hash of it. Katie

There is a big house which is visable as you go up the Lickey Incline but I can't remember what it was called if it comes to me I will post the name.........

The one i was thinking of is near Tredington, which used to be in Worcestershire which would mean that there are or were two in the county.

Screenshot (177).png
I guess this is the Blackwell. I used to live in Alvechurch and would drive past on the way to Bromsgrove.

My brother was evacuated to Blackwell during the war ............. is there anyone else who went there? Are there any photos please?
Hi, I know it is a long time since you posted, but I wondered if you ever got photographs.
I ask because I am going through some old photographs belonging to relatives long passed, and I have at least two very good photographs of Blackwell Convalescent home. I don't know what era they are, but only stumbled across this forum because I wanted to find out about it.

Hi, I know it is a long time since you posted, but I wondered if you ever got photographs.
I ask because I am going through some old photographs belonging to relatives long passed, and I have at least two very good photographs of Blackwell Convalescent home. I don't know what era they are, but only stumbled across this forum because I wanted to find out about it.
Here is a photo of Blackwell Convalescent home

Attachments

• FF6FFF96-A10C-4FC9-BFBD-4D797604D8E3.jpeg
    FF6FFF96-A10C-4FC9-BFBD-4D797604D8E3.jpeg
    64.2 KB · Views: 16
Back