• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Evacuated to Barwell, Leicestershire

Margetts01

Hi I wonder if anyone can help -

I am trying to put together a 'This is your life' for my mother-in-law who will shortly be 80 and wondered if anyone knew of or knew anyone who was evacuated at that time ....

She was evacuated with her brother John I think in 1939 to Barwell, near Hinckley Leicestershire, at the time they lived in Berry Road Saltley and attended Highfield Primary School (her name is Brenda) I've tried all avenues hope someone can help

frustrated

HI MARGETTs01
It is stated that 10th december 1940 13,000 705 Children was evacuated from birmingham,
And on the 11th and 12 th of december 1940 a very severe raid took on birmingham 13 and a half hours was done ; and four and half hours
raid on bordesly green and aston this was 2=3 rd of december 1940
have a nice day best wishes Astonian;;;

Hello, my mum also Brenda, lived in St Saviours Road. Mum, her brother Tom, and her sister Lily, were evacuated to Barwell in 1939. According to Mum, and she has always said this, so I cannot blame her dementia, they were there when war was declared. Mum lived with a family and the man worked for the local fire brigade, so when the sirens went off they all went to the fire station and not the shelters.

Back