• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

evacuated 1939...attended hope st school,

heathy72

master brummie
im trying to put together as much as i can for my uncle.
after i visited him last week,i trying to find as many pictures i can from around the period he was evacuated..
he told me stories of when it happened and what it was like for him..i was fascinated.
this is why i want to do this for him.
what i need is to not only find pictures,but any stories of people that mite of been evacuated to the same place..
he was sent to a village called groby in leicestershire,im sure it was the 3rd sept 1939,he attended hope st school,balsall heath..
please cud anyone point me in the right direction,as i want to put together an album of pics,stories and infomation about it.my uncle wud be so pleased if i cud do that.
THANK U .XXXX:):)

My friend was evacuated to Groby, if you could post your uncles name, I'll see if he remembers your uncle.

Nick

hi..
my uncle's name is john reeves and he is at least 79 yrs old..
cud u post ur friends name and il do the same ha ha,see if my uncle john remember's him..
thanx.xx

Heathy,
I still have all my evacuation papers,they are posted on the forum somewhere.
Nothing to do with your uncle, but what he would have had,it may be of interest to him.
The reason I have them is because I didn't go...stayed in Aston and got bombed instead.:rolleyes:

wud u be able to post a copy of ur papers to see what they looked like..i wud be fascinated and i know my uncle wud luv to see em to...thanx.x

Hello
I am Interested In this Thread because my late Mother in Law was also sent to Groby about the same time.Her name was Irene Smith and lived in Ivy Avenue Sparkbrook at the time. I would be Interested if you knew her

i went to visit my uncle tonight and gave him all the info i got from this site about hope st school and being evacuated..
he gave me sum names..if anyone remembers them id luv to know...they are....albert olds....tony jones....charlie able...lawrie taylor.....and my uncle john was known as titch......xx

Back