• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Essential Hitler- The Speeches and Commentary

B

Beryl M

Essential Hitler- The Speeches and Commentary-
Genre: Non Fiction Author: Max Domarus Edited by Patrick Romane Paperback: 850 pages Publisher: Bolchazy-Carducci Language: English

This book is comprised of fifteen chapters, an epilogue, glossary, list of dates important to Hitler’s life, maps, a chronological index of speeches and events and subject index ‘Essential Hitler The Speeches and Commentary’ is a highly usable text for the casual reader as well as the serious student of Hitler. Hitler’s beliefs, how he governed, his party and his regard for ‘the Jewish Question’ are all included in the volume.

The religious community and Hitler as well as how Hitler was able to put Germany back to work following the defeat of World War I help provide younger readers in particular with insight into the forces shaping Hitler and his thinking. Life in Germany before and after he became the Supreme Commander bring the reader into a further understanding of this complex man and the time in which he lived. Hitler’s confronting America, fighting World War II, expanding the Reich along with the press view of Hitler round out the work.

Chapters focus upon important aspects of Hitler as leader of Nazi Germany, and as a person. Hitler was one of the most multifaceted historical players of modern times.

He was at times gentle and at others destructive, ‘Essential Hitler -The Speeches and Commentary’ help the reader put both aspects in perspective. His hurt at not being accepted for his artistic ability as well as his deep love for his mother have been chronicled as motivating factors in his life.

Reading Hitler’s own words to his people and the world at large regarding his viewpoint, objectives and thoughts is chilling and compelling.

Writer Domarus began collecting Hitler’s speeches and writings in 1932. He was a history scholar born in Germany in 1911 who saw first hand what was happening in his country. Early on Domarus realized the significance of Hitler’s rise to power.

Hitler was obsessive in his belief that Germany must be avenged for the humiliation it suffered at the close of WWI. Facts were something to manipulate, blame must be leveled and the people must agree were all tenets of the Hitler doctrine. That Hitler dominated everyone around him to the point that his own generals rarely spoke against him even near the end of WWII has been documented time and time again. That the German people did not question his leadership has been the subject of studies from the 1940s to today.

Domarus offers a study of Hitler in clear and readable prose. The speeches chronicle Hitler’s thinking, intentions and desires. They bring in perspective what the general public was hearing from the man who history records as an iron fisted dictator.

I hope this is not an attempt to justify this madman's actions. E.

If you wish to read a well researched and documented book on the subject may I suggest 'The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich' by William L Shirer.

"A thousand years will pass and the guilt of Germany will not be erased."
-Hans Frank, Governor General of Poland, before he was hanged at Nuremberg.

Thank you Eric - but I have already read 'The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich' by William L Shirer.

And I Agree with you
‘A thousand years will pass and the guilt of Germany will not be erased.’
-Hans Frank, Governor General of Poland, before he was hanged at Nuremberg.

This book is not an attempt to white wash history-it is just one of basic facts. . .

Back