• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Eric Benton, Ansell's pub's.

E

exilebrummie

:) My late father ( Eric Benton ) was a Manager for Ansells in the 50's he ran Victoria, Ryder St, Wellington, Bristol Road ( still there ) and The Plough and Harrow, Selly Oak. can anyone tell me dates he was at these pubs and is there anywhere I could obtain photo's I lived in all these pubs as a child.

:) My late father ( Eric Benton ) was a Manager for Ansells in the 50's he ran Victoria, Ryder St, Wellington, Bristol Road ( still there ) and The Plough and Harrow, Selly Oak. can anyone tell me dates he was at these pubs and is there anywhere I could obtain photo's I lived in all these pubs as a child.

Hi My grandparents ran The Plough & Harrow in Selly Oak. I think it would have been around 1956 maybe 1957 as I lived there with them for a time. Sadly I have been looking for photo's of the pub but unable to find any.

A bit before the time you enquire about, but here is the Plough & Harrow in 1913

Eric Benton was at the Wellington on Bristol Street between 18[SUP]th[/SUP] September 1958 and 21[SUP]st[/SUP] January 1960. It was on the latter date that he was granted the licence for the Plough and Harrow. However, his stay was short and he was succeeded in May of the same year. Are you sure about Ryder Street?

Back