• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Erdington National School High Street Erdington

Think the mis-tagging makes sense Barmybrummy, especially as Morturn has given us an image of a school in High Street. Thanks both, this is something that's baffled me for a while.

Next question (!) Anyone know where-abouts in High Street ?
Viv

Think the mis-tagging makes sense Barmybrummy, especially as Morturn has given us an image of a school in High Street. Thanks both, this is something that's baffled me for a while.

Viv
The National School was near St Barnabas Church. It stood on the High Street by where The Roebuck once stood.

This must be the school - info from British History Online. The building premises were condemned in 1912, but presumably the premises were improved. Viv

ERDINGTON C. OF E. PRIMARY SCHOOL, High Street. Erdington National Sch. opened 1813. N.o.b. 1814: 70 B, 52 G. In 1824 the sch. was said to accom. only 25 G. It was enlarged 1824 or 1825, for 120 B, 120 G in 2 rooms. Income 1827 included 8s. 3d. for the girls' 'work'. In 1846 there were 3 schoolrooms (B, G, I) and 3 teachers. Enlarged 1851. Received annual grants from 1877. Fees 1d. Depts. united 1888. Fees retained until 1903. Reorganized for M, I by 1905. Bd. of Ed. condemned premises 1912. Reorganized 1935 for 310 JI. Became an aided sch. 1952. Accom. 1961: 7 classrooms, hall.

Viv
Right opposite St Barnabas Road and Wolworths

Thanks John and Mort. Was confused about the Roebuck site. I thought the old Roebuck was in a different place to where the new one was built but think I might have it confused with the old Acorn down High Street.

Viv

Last edited:
Thanks John and Mort. Was confused about the Roebuck site. I thought the old Roebuck was in a different place to where the new one was built but think I might have it confused with the old Acorn on the other side of High Street.

Viv
The Acorn was on the corner of High Street and Church Road. It was quite a large pub.

I have taken the liberty of copying several posts from another BHF thread about National Schools which adds some details of the school on High Street. As they are earlier posts from elsewhere they now precede Barmybummy's posts as originator of this thread.

Thank you Barmybrummy for starting this thread. An interesting find.

I have also amended the title as we now know it was originally a National School. Viv.

Looking again at BarmyBrummy's photos in post #5, these must be sports team photos; one of the cricket team and one of runners. (Remember these sashes you'd wear, sometimes a specific house colour, although here they look the same colour probably to represent the school in local inter-school competitions).

The photos must have been taken at the rear of the school premises looking at Jennyann's colour photo in post #17. The grounds/playground look like they weren't particularly big.

Could someone post a map showing the school please? Viv.

Thanks Mort. Very helpful.

I have tidied up another thread about this Erdington School, and all posts from that thread have now been merged with this thread. There may now be earlier unseen posts. Viv.

I’m an Erdington lad and lived in New Street in the 50’s & 60’s. Does anyone remember the National School on the High Street? I guess it was somewhere near the Palace Picture House, or at least on that side of the road and think it lay back a little way off the road, behind some iron railings.
Does anyone know what the National School was? I seem to think it wasn’t the normal state school for some reason.

Photo and newspaper article about the forthcoming demolition of The National School in High Street Erdington.
My Mother is seated at the front with on the far right and wearing a coat with a (fake) fur collar and her handbag on her knees.

There is a lot on info in the article, mainly from the Headmistress Miss P. Moore.... Let me know if it's too small to read and I'll type it up.

Have only just seen the date... 22nd May 1964 :)

Attachments

• National School.jpg
    National School.jpg
    388.4 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Back