• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Elizabeth Manton, Grocer

Barbinoz

master brummie
My great great aunt Elizabeth Manton (nee Batchelor) was a grocer and Provision Dealer at 8 Gough Rd Edgbaston. She was there between 1881, maybe a little earlier, and 1894 when she died.
I haven't been able to find out much about her business, if she ran a proper shop or something less formal.
Does anyone know if there is a way I can find out?
Any ideas would be most helpful

Directories not much help, as just described as shopkeeper. I would guess she ran a small general shop which concentrated on provisions.there were many of them. The shop was close to the junction with Sun St on thje south side. There is a picture of the junction , but it only shows the north side buildings. The area would not suggest a large grocers

From Kellys for 8 Gough Road
1873 Hampton Thos. furniture broke
1886-95 Manton Mrs. Elizabeth, shopkeeper
Mike

Thanks Mike, you've answered a couple of questions, where abouts on Gough Rd she lived and also that she had a "proper" shop!
She was widowed young & moved to Brum from Kenilworth where she'd been a monthly nurse (whatever that was!)
Cheers
Barb ;o)

A monthly nurse was a woman who looked after a mother and new baby for the first few weeks after the baby's birth.

Thanks Pollypops! I never thought of that need for a nurse, Elizabeth had a several children of her own so she'd have plenty of experience!

Back