• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Dunlop

Dunlops Tyre Company

I believe Dunlop Tyre factory was opened first in Birmingham in Rocky Lane, Aston and when Fort Dunlops was built, some of the workers from Aston were initially taken to the Fort by canal barge as the buses/trams stopped at Salford Bridge. Does anyone out there know anything about this? i would be extremely grateful for approx dates etc. Thanks a lot.
Cheers - Benabby

Re: Dunlops Tyre Company

Yes I seen that picture myself many years ago in the paper and in a book Carolina
People whom worked hard at Dunlop for there bread and butter to survive and they was a generous people
When my great grand father died William George Jelf, whom ran the coffee shop on the corner of holly lane and Tyburn road
Just by the Dunlop and supplied the workers with there food and teas from The 1920 to 1935 when he died
They made a huge collection for him in cash and in flowers and gave them to my get grand mother Mary Ann Hughes is Wife
And it was publish used in the birmingham post in 1935. She died in 1946 and both are hurried in st Barth,s high street Eddington
Best wishes Astonian,,,,,,

Elder Brummie and Newbie Brummie, you have come up trumps again. Thank you so much for the great picture an info shared. My father worked in Fort Dunlop for many years. From the Tyre Shop he worked on the railway that ran through Dunlop's was an active Shop Stewaed and later was voted on to the Board as the Worker's Representative. Thanks once more.

My dad worked for Dunlop all his life, starting at Aston Cross in 1919 when he came back from WW1, he moved with them to Fort Dunlop and used to tell my older brother and sisters that he used to patrol the Fort, little did he know he would actually be doing that on fire fighting duties in WW2 after his shift had finished.

Hi Sylvia,
Sounds like you are talking about my Dad, he did more or less the same.

Anyone remember George Humphreys or Humphries working at Dunlop forties and early fifties. He lived in Dunvegan Road Erdington. Regards, David.

My uncle Tom Phillips worked at Fort Dunlop from after WW2 till he retired in the '70's.
He was in the works fire brigade and also involved with St John's Ambulance.
My other uncle Mal Roberts I think was a tyre tester there during WW2.
Also my dad Will Jones was there late 40's,early 50's.He left to work for Schraders.
Does anybody remember them as they have all passed.

A wonderful memorial to those employees who fell in WW1. Is this still on the Fort Dunlop site? Viv.

image.jpeg

I worked at Dunlop in the Kreel and hot calendar from 1996 - closer in 2000 great times. Anyone got any photos.....

I was a student in the early sixties and the last ever holiday job I had before moving to Golsmiths College in London was two weeks at Dunlops. I worked with the steel erectors team but didn't really have to do anything other than follow them around, for health and safety reasons. It was amazing place. I think it was there that there was a special room for smoking breaks. They walls ran with nicotine.

I have posted before that my dad spent his whole working life at the Dunlop, he was known by his workmates as Charlie Wallace after a Aston Villa player of the time, once his brother went to the factory asking to speak to Bill, but was told we only have a Charlie.

Dad worked very hard in what was known as the "black hole", they got so dirty they were provided with showers after their shift, he used to say he was the cleanest man in Aston!

When my father got to old for the building trade he went to Dunlop's and worked in what was known as the 'black hole' - whatever that is !! Eric

Back