• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Dunlop

rowan

Born a Brummie
Does anyone recall H.J.T Herbert known as Jim who worked at Dunlop from 1921 until his retirement in the '60's?

He was general secretary in 1946 of the Dunlop Sports and social club and remained so for 37 years.

My grandad worked at Dunlops.His name was Jack Fitzpatrick.

iam desperately trawling the web for a decent pictue of fort dunlop as it was before the awful new development

this is for a seminar i am intending to give about rubber at the university of sussex

as a person of west midlands heritage i want to show these mostly southern students a picture of the building as a focus for my talk

can you help

i need it quick

This is from a lady in sussex who comes from the midlands and hopes we can help.

Re: CRY FOR HELP

Tyre Making 1897 (Photos replaced by what I think are the same as originals)

2%20Cutting%20Canvas%20room%201897 dunlop.jpg4%20Wiring%201897 dunlop.jpg5%20pocket%20making%201897 dunlop.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

I hope the lady doing the talk says Dunlop started life in Aston Cross
I have a load of Dunlop Ads from the Aston Cross Mills Factory
This Ad is 1914
Note the address on the bottom ad Dunlop Rubber Co.Ltd Manor Mills Aston

My dad spent all his working life at the Dunlop, starting at Aston Cross when he left the army circa 1919 to retirement from the Fort in 1965.
My mom used to say he made more tyres at home than at the factory, as he was always telling tales and talking about work.

Thanks Crommie, my dad worked at The Dunlop from 1914, until he retired in 1967, for many years he worked in Base Stores. It must have been after the war when he was sent, I think to Bristol, to fit the tyres for the Brabazon, the aeroplane that never got off the ground. He said they were the biggest tyres ever made by the company.

My Ex worked at Dunlop when we were first married

Nice Dunlop Ad 1917
Now looking at the car in the bottom aint ya glad we got a thing called progress ......but I bet they was fun

MY UNCLE JACK (JOHN) LAMBS WAS COMMISSIONER ON THE MAIN ENTRANCE TO THE DUNLOP OFFICES BACK IN THE 50S. ALSO MY COUSIN'S HUSBAND BRAMWELL QUATERMAIN . BOTH BELONGED TO THE CORE OF COMMISSIONERS.

Dunlop

Hi all

This is my first posting. My husbands uncle Harold Partridge worked at Dunlop he was in the offices. My husband worked for a company that transported tyres in the 70's and the men used to roll them out of the warehouses...........no health and safety then!

Great pictures, lovely to see

Apart from my Mom I think most of my family worked for Dunlop at sometime or another!. I worked there from 1977 in the Dunlop Group Property Dept., my Dad worked for 30 odd years in B Block, my brother David who recently retired worked in Tyre 4 for 30 odd years too. Two uncles, and one cousin were there as well tho' I don't remember where, and my ex-husband worked as an electrician. I must say that I loved working there and Dunlop were a good company to work for. I only left to have my first baby who was then followed by a second and a third, so I never went back :laugh: I did miss the people I worked with :(

Gillian :crazy2:

Last edited by a moderator:
Most of my family, paternal and maternal, worked at Dunlop from both grandads to my late cousin retiring around 2000. Here are 2 pics showing my maternal grandad's retirement presentation. Maybe some of the faces ring a bell? Of the 3 gifts I understand 2 of them, the horse cigarette lighter - he was a smoker, the canteen of cutlery - traditional gift, but the shopping bag??????????? Maybe they thought it would be a good idea to carry the cutlery home down Wood Lane to his house on Bromford Lane?

My gt grandad, Thomas Pugh, my grandad, Thomas Pugh, my Uncle Thomas Pugh jnr all worked at Dunlop, then my cousin Christine Pugh ended the Pugh line

Rowan, 3 generations of my family worked there but sadly they're all gone now. My cousin, Brian Preece, would have remembered him as he was a great supporter of the Sports and Social Club.

Hi

I'm trying to find out the family name of the people that used to run the Dunlop factory, or at least the names of people in management from 1910-20. Any ideas how I can get such info??

Any help greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
Graham

Hi Everyone,
This is my first post, so please firgive me if i've posted in the wrong forum.
I'm trying to find some info on ruber mastication at the Dunlop in 1945 ish, I was wondering if anyone could help point me in the right direction please?
thank you in advance
tinker x

Hi Tinker can't go back to 1945 but in the 60's the rubber mastication used to be done in a machine called a Banbury which used to churn and mix the raw rubber with various chemicals to make the different rubber compounds, The process would not have been much different in 40,s just different chemical/rubber mixes the machines they used were installed in about 1928 in the compound prep dept or the Mill as the workforce called it

Thank you Maybell, it's a huge help. I'm also trying to get hold of some photos of 1945 at the dunlop or rubber mastication. If anyone has any idea where would be a good place to look for these I'd be grateful.

Many Thanks
Tinker xxx

Back