• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Drinkwater Park Road Aston

Lady W

Brummie babby
My paternal grandparents lived in Park Road Aston at Dr Grayson‘s surgery.
Their surname was Drinkwater, Bill and Winnie and their daughter and husband also shared the house living upstairs, Gladys and Leslie Budd. My grandparents also had two sons Jim and Ron my father.
I am not sure if my grandparents did any work for the Graysons or if they just rented. I remember they kept chickens at the bottom of the garden and the garden overlooked Aston Park.
I wonder if anyone has any memories of the family or information.

My paternal grandparents lived in Park Road Aston at Dr Grayson‘s surgery.
Their surname was Drinkwater, Bill and Winnie and their daughter and husband also shared the house living upstairs, Gladys and Leslie Budd. My grandparents also had two sons Jim and Ron my father.
I am not sure if my grandparents did any work for the Graysons or if they just rented. I remember they kept chickens at the bottom of the garden and the garden overlooked Aston Park.
I wonder if anyone has any memories of the family or information.
Hi Lady W

I think I may have found your William (Bill) Drinkwater was born in 1887 on Find my past. He Married Winifred Annie Beard at St Peters on the 11/04/14 in Aston. Gladys born 23/07/15. Can only find him on 1939 census at 200 Park Road Aston.
According to his army records he was a Private in the Coldstream Guards service No 21392 in 1917. His Address at that time was Francis Terrace 7 back of 199 Park Road. He was discharged from the army on medical grounds suffering from D.A.H this was Disorderly action of the Heart. Sometimes referred to as "soldiers heart" or "effort syndrome". You may need to purchase the record for him from the 1921 census to find out a little more.

The online electoral rolls show he was at 7 Francis terrace from at least 1920 till 1935, but by 1939 he had moved to 200 Park Road (the surgery)

Hi Lady W

I think I may have found your William (Bill) Drinkwater was born in 1887 on Find my past. He Married Winifred Annie Beard at St Peters on the 11/04/14 in Aston. Gladys born 23/07/15. Can only find him on 1939 census at 200 Park Road Aston.
According to his army records he was a Private in the Coldstream Guards service No 21392 in 1917. His Address at that time was Francis Terrace 7 back of 199 Park Road. He was discharged from the army on medical grounds suffering from D.A.H this was Disorderly action of the Heart. Sometimes referred to as "soldiers heart" or "effort syndrome". You may need to purchase the record for him from the 1921 census to find out a little more.
Wow thank you so much for the information, that all fits in with what I know so far and remember. I wondered if Bill had fought in the war. I remember him sitting on a upright chair and never seeming too well. He always used to say “Put wood in hole!” if I left the door open! I understand he worked as a baths attendant and crossing warden. His daughter Gladys said he was never a well man but didn’t elaborate. All your information will be so helpful I will chase it up. Much appreciated.

The online electoral rolls show he was at 7 Francis terrace from at least 1920 till 1935, but by 1939 he had moved to 200 Park Road (the surgery)
Thank you that’s really helpful. Am new to this appreciate the information.

Back