• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Double Zero Club

Old member of d z Pete heyes died few weeks ago will be missed r I p if god rides a triumph he will have a good mate

hello peter...i am saddened to hear of petes death...he and my steve lived next door to each other in hathaway road and had known each other since childhood and were bikers together...steve passed away in sept 2010 so i am guessing that he and pete are now up there somewhere having a good get together...R.I.P. PETE..

lyn

Last edited:
Hi Lyn,
Any photos of him back in the day? The name seems familiar, but my old brain is failing nowadays........ All seems a long time ago.....

Hi Lyn,
Any photos of him back in the day? The name seems familiar, but my old brain is failing nowadays........ All seems a long time ago.....

no sorry cafemoto i dont have any photos of pete hayes im afraid..

lyn

no sorry cafemoto i dont have any photos of pete hayes im afraid..

lyn

Thanks for your reply, Lyn. I was part of the DZ in thee late sixties, moving away to the South Coast. My name is Paul, and I had a Goldie, before that a Sunbeam chair. Were you there in those days?

Thanks for your reply, Lyn. I was part of the DZ in thee late sixties, moving away to the South Coast. My name is Paul, and I had a Goldie, before that a Sunbeam chair. Were you there in those days?

yes paul the late 60s would have been when i was going there...only went a few times though as i was only about 16 at the time and if our mom and dad ever found out i was going there i would have been in for it lol...when i did sneak off there i told them i was at spring hill rollar rink...

lyn

So sorry I missed this I remember Pete Hayes and his brothers. They lived near Mere Green. R.I.P. Pete.

Is there any chance of a d z gathering before we are all pushing up daisies

Go to Hoar park tea rooms/garden centre and fishing lake on Wednesday morning between 10:00 and 12:30hrs.

Every week there is a gathering of us old uns, many of whom went to the DZ.

We are still around on our bikes. In the summer there might be 150 bikes attend.

thanks for that info bob i will pass it around to a few bikers i know...forgot to say that pete hayes was at my steves funeral in 2010..

lyn

Bob, Hoar Park is a good venue, and yes, the average age is approaching 80 ! The DZ was a 60's to 70's thing, so its been 50 - 60 years ago. Add that to your (16 in my case) age at the time ...... !
I've seen a DZ Web site, with photos, its very good, but a little hazy in current info. Ray Fox, the last ever Chair of the Club is still around, (or was a couple of weeks ago), but has heart trouble. Kenny the Bug and a few others too are still alive and at Hoar Park (usually). I see Johnny Winsor has written quite a bit on there, but hear that he has been a naughty boy so is not around much, (please, lets leave it at that for everyone's sake. If you know why, then you'll understand).

Yes Bob, that's him, I've known him for nearly 50 years. I've been unable to get to HP in the last few weeks owing to pressure of work... will try to do better !

Changing the theme a little here chaps ...can I ask if any of you bikers recall using a club referred to as the 100 club meaning you have rode your bikes at that speed. If so, what was the name and where about's of it? My brother was a biker with his good pal back then, a friend told me they had used this so called club, it rang a bell but I cannot recollect.

Hello :) I'm from Flatpack Film Festival (13 - 22 April 2018) here in Digbeth. This year we're hosting a programme of events exploring Birmingham in 1968. As of course you know, the Double Zero Motorcycle Club was in full swing in Digbeth's St Basils Church and we would like to piece together this story. We're particularly keen to find people who were Double Zero members - we'd love to hear your personal stories of the club at that time/to see any photos that you may still have. On Sunday 15 April at 1:30pm, MAC in Cannon Hill Park will host a special event including David Collyer, who set up the club as a young vicar, along with a screening of Double Zero archive footage. We would, of course, love to extend an invitation to any members out ther and if you have stories or images from that time, we'd love to hear from you guys. You can get in touch with us by email at [email protected]

Flatpack and some DZ members will be at Mutt Motorcycles 77 Upper Trinity Street (back of the DZ by borch electrical?) Upper Trinity Street B9 4EG Saturday 22nd September, 3-8pm BBQ, Bar and 60s bike films.

hello brummiegray....all the best for the meet up on saturday...would be great if you could take a few photos and post them on this thread for us...:)

lyn

hi wendy. was the coffee bar at mere green called dunbar's?
there was a rocker cafe by the main gate sutton park,i think it was called the cabin,might be wrong.
i used to go to the dz,also the disc brake at beggars bush.
i knew the hayes brothers,not that well.
do you remember sally deakin,tommy morgan,any of the greenhills.
i have a photo of the cowsheds with a few of us on it.
you may remember some of them
ray whitehouse
Hi Ray , i’m trying to place you as I too used to go to the Disc brake and the cow sheds I rode a 500 Triumph and dated Sally Deakin , ring a bell.

Hi. My dad used to go to Double Zero back in the late sixties, although I don't think he was a member. He used to manage H & L Motors, a triumph dealer on Dudley Rd. When I was little I used to go to work with him as my Mom also worked at H & L as the bookkeeper/accounts. I remember Johnny Windsor as he was always in there and his girlfriend Dougal used to take me to buy sweets and fish and chips on a saturday. Other names I remember are Dave Whitehouse, Fordy, Big Phil, Mike Hailwood, Pete Heyes and a guy called MIck or Mike who was a sidecar racer.

Back