• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Double Zero Club

Thats the one yes funny that. I love it when people used to give directions by pubs..

hi john.yes it is the bus stop next to the dog.better known as the cow sheds.
there was a cafe down by the main gate,i'm sure it was called the cabin,might be wrong.
there was a coffee bar at mere green,can you remember what it was called.
ray

Ray, john is my brother, we lived in Four Oaks. John is 10 years older than me and has a better memory...lol

Hi, Wendy, I am Ray's brother and I used to go the DZ on my BSA C15 and changed it for a Royal Enfield 250 GT (which was stolen fron the club)I used to go to the club two or three times aweek with my frien Eric he had a BSA bantam 175 and changed it for a BSA Starfire 250. I ended up with a Truimph T100 SS before moving to cars. I had a go at re-living my youth about 10years ago and brought a bonnie but only went out on it about four times in 2 years what a waste so I sold it.

Hello Alan I remember all the bikes parked up in Sutton and Mere Green. I only ever went on one which was Nige Hayes who gave me a lift home when I missed my bus if I remember that was a Triumph Bonneville. My Dad was dead against bikes as he nearly died on one in the 30's. Nige dropped me on the corner of our road I hoped and prayed no one saw me but a neighbor snitched on me and was I in trouble. My best friend Judy was killed coming off the back of a bike in Belwell Lane after a night at the DZ about 1968/9. She wasn't wearing a crash helmet.That event finished me with bikes forever.

Last edited by a moderator:
The photo (profile picture) is me at the back of the co-op Boldmere road (where I worked) on my C15 1968 I was 17yrs old .About a year before that I meet a girl at the Double Zero club called Pearl, I went out with her for only one night and never saw her again, does anyone remember her she was tall and slim with blonde hair??

hello everyone my name i steve hooper my brother used to ride with the dz he died on the 22 sept 1970 im trying to find any pictures ov his funeral i was told he had a proper bikers funeral if anyone knows him please get in touch thank you

Are there any old motorcyclists out there who remember The Double Zero Motorbike Club?

The club was started in the late sixties by the Rev. Dave Collyer (whatever happened to him) at a church in (St. Basil's?) Heathmill lane Digbeth.

I used to attend until about 1969/70 when I sold my bike. Now after 30+ years I am back in the saddle and reliving old memories.

Bob Johnson[/QUOTE

Hi Bob
Yes I was the 510 member 5 shilling for life and still got my dz badge
I joined in 1965 had a bas 175 cc bantam at the time
Im still in on the bike 63 now and bike instructor DAS
Dave Collyer went on to be the bishop of Lichfield
Happy days

i remember dave collyer..i only managed to get to the DZ a few times until our mom and dad got wind of it and that was that lol..mind you i was only about 16 at the time...seem to recall a guy called chad..think that was his nick name..lived on the castle vale..does anyone know if st basils is still there..

lyn

Are there any old motorcyclists out there who remember The Double Zero Motorbike Club?

The club was started in the late sixties by the Rev. Dave Collyer (whatever happened to him) at a church in (St. Basil's?) Heathmill lane Digbeth.

I used to attend until about 1969/70 when I sold my bike. Now after 30+ years I am back in the saddle and reliving old memories.

Bob Johnson[/QUOTE

Hi Bob
Yes I was the 510 member 5 shilling for life and still got my dz badge
I joined in 1965 had a bas 175 cc bantam at the time
Im still in on the bike 63 now and bike instructor DAS
Dave Collyer went on to be the bishop of Lichfield
Happy days

david collyer bought a book out titled DOUBLE ZERO recalling his 5 years with the rockers and hells angels...fontana 3202 1973 and there is a re print as well...bet it makes a good read...

if anyone is interested in davids book there are 10 used ones on amazon..different prices...

lyn

hi there; i know the whereabouts of several dz members ie john windsor bsa pete ridgway phil ridgway pete hayes gabby martin butler all are well and living in the b.ham area several of them go to bassetts pole in the summer

After a period of no Computer, I'm back. I've bought a copy of Dave the Rev's book and read it, cover to cover in one night. I've put a critique of it on the Amazon site, but basically it covers the origins, the 60's, and ending in the 70's of the DZ. As a socio-economic statement of the times, its fascinating. It shows up certain persons/organizations for the hypocrites they were, but conversely tells of those like Tom Coyne (of the BBC) and others who worked tirelessly for the underpriviledged of B'ham back then.

Just found this thread and a lot of great memories came flooding back. I knew all about the DZ although I never joined, but I was a member of the 59 Club for a while. I rode bikes all over the Midlands throughout the mid-late 60's while living with my parents in Streetly. Started with a D5 Bantam, moved up to a C15 then finally abandoned the 'Bits Stuck Anywhere' brigade and bought a T100SS. I really wanted a unit construction Bonnie but couldn't come up with enough dosh. The cafe in Mere Green Road mentioned in earlier posts was indeed Dunbar's, although everyone I knew called it Dunby's. My mates and I spent a lot of time there. We got thrown out once for fooling around with those plastic squeeze dispenser gizmos shaped like a big tomato.....there was tomato sauce over everybody and everything. I also remember the Belwell Lane accident when the girl was killed, quietened us all down for many months.

Eutrino thanks for your memories. I went to the bikers 59 club once as I remember but like Astoness when my Mom got wind of it that was the first and last time. The café in Mere Green was owned by my friends Dad, John Harris the family moved to California and came back John had a couple of American cars. He was a larger than life character who we named the mayor of Mere Green. He also managed a couple of groups which we used to go and see often. His son David who I went to school with was also in one of the groups. I made contact with David a few years ago,I think he now lives in the U.S. My friend Judy Preedy who was killed in Belwell Lane she lived in Squirrel Walk on the Little Aston estate. I have visited her grave recentley at St Peters Little Aston. Thanks for the memories.

DUNBAR'S..... Now I remember. Went in with my Mom a few times when shopping, can't remember any motorcycles there though. Mind you, we went mid-morning.

David Collyer is alive and well - still living in Birmingham, I meet on a regular basis (dog walking) he is supposed to be retired but is still called upon in his religous copacity on a regular basis. I spoke to him today and he would be delighted to hear from members of the double zero club. The book is now out of print but makes great reading - some copies are available without paying an inflated Amazon price.

Back