• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Does anyone remember Moseley College? Wake Green Road/Yardley Wood Road

simon3030

knowlegable brummie
My elder sister & I attended Moseley College, paid for by our grandparents. It shut, I think, in 1961, after my first year there - I don't think the two events were connected.... My sister suffered as she had to change schools for her last primary year, so did not pass her 11+. We both went to Yorkmead in Hall Green thereafter
The school was owned by the Savigear family, he was the Head, not sure about Mrs. Their house was in the same grounds, may even have been the School itself - memory plays tricks.
The school was on the crossroads of Wake Green Road, and Yardley Wood Road, where the traffic lights are. It was sold to enable the building of the block of flats on that corner.
I have some dim memories - waiting to go into school, with my sister and her friends with pencil cases covered in pics of Marty Wilde - would that be right? Also, they had great school dinners in the hall, and well remember being presented with a huge steaming 'spotted dick' on the table.
My classroom was on the first floor off the main staircase landing.
The uniform was dark blue with gold..I have a pic somewhere of me on my first day, satchel, blazer, cap, my sis with a nice straw hat on too.

Last edited:
  • Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Janice, that's fantastic, thank you - at least I had the year right...never knew his name was Sylvester! That's a huge sum of money as well. I guess those were the 'economic reasons'
Greenmore College was too far away for us, we lived in Sparkhill, on Showell Green Lane, so it would have been an impossible journey, but we could get to Yorkmead by bus, I remember paying 1 1/2d; we moved to Hall Green maybe 1964?

He also seems to have been a prolific writer of letters to "the editor" on a range of subjects. I was hopng to find a photo of the property but nothing so far.

Thanks again for the update; I have an image of a tall grey haired individual in a black gown, but it has been over 60 years! Seem to remember he had a couple of daughters at the school.
I'm not surprised as to the value - the site was prime development material - there were two blocks of flats built, I recall, the developers must have made a killing.

I also seem to recall it being a mock Tudor building, but I might be very mistaken. Dark wood panelling inside, lots of windows. Big staircase.

I think Gil Merrick was the sports master there in the 1950's. I recall a Mid week sports match against our school Moseley G S. Gill signed a scrap of paper for me.

This building was visible from the upper deck of a 29A bus as it traveled along Springfield Road. As a child I wondered what the place was, but later I was told of its purpose.

I think you were given false information. The building (tower) you could see was Moseley Grammar School (formerly Springhill College). Moseley College was at the junction of Wake Green Road and Yardley Wood Road.

Not a false story really for a yougster who remembers being told it was a school, but not the name. After all I have not lived in the Midlands since 1954 and was a early teenager when I left.

Ok RR understood. The School has changed a lot in that it has been merged with the old Moseley Modern which was situated below MGS half way down College road. MM was a new school in !955 when I started at MGS.

Having another thought when I was at MGS. When it was poor weather or my bike was in pieces I used to walk up St John's Road to catch a 24 Bus to the Wake Green Road/Yardley Wood Road cross roads and Greenmore college (Moseley was on the corner of the junction. While waiting for the 24 a very pretty young lady of my age roughly 15/16 used to wait for the same bus but I was too bashful to speak to her. She sported a navy blue, gold lined blazer and a straw boater hat. I forgot my bashfulness in the Royal Navy!

Having another thought when I was at MGS. When it was poor weather or my bike was in pieces I used to walk up St John's Road to catch a 24 Bus to the Wake Green Road/Yardley Wood Road cross roads and Greenmore college (Moseley was on the corner of the junction. While waiting for the 24 a very pretty young lady of my age roughly 15/16 used to wait for the same bus but I was too bashful to speak to her. She sported a navy blue, gold lined blazer and a straw boater hat. I forgot my bashfulness in the Royal Navy!
I have a picture (not to hand regrettably) of my older sister and myself on my first day there, we both had those blue blazers with gold edging and my sister had a very fetching straw hat (not boater shaped). I was 5, she was 9, we were both there for only one year more, as it shut at the end of the 1960/61 academic year.

Yes, I remember Moseley College on Wake Green Road and Yardley Wood Road. It holds a special place in the memories of many residents of Birmingham. The college played a significant role in the community, providing education and opportunities for countless individuals. It's wonderful to see discussions like this keeping the memories alive. Just as we cherish the history and impact of Moseley College, crafting argumentative essays https://www.masterpapers.com/argumentative-essay allows us to delve into meaningful discussions and preserve the essence of our past experiences. If anyone has more stories or memories to share about Moseley College, please feel free to contribute!

Last edited:
Back