• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Do you know this swimming bath?.

G G Jean

Brummy Wench.
I did my full time work at Wyndley but covered lessons all over Brum in my time. Came accross these photo's and am not quite sure where they were taken?. Any ideas. Jean.

Looks like the small pool at Woodcock St after the Uni. took it over.

That's what Peter thought. My son took these photo's years ago but is away at the moment. The only other places I can think are the old small pool at Handsworth or Erdington?. Let you know when I find out. Bye. Jean. .

Didn't Erdington have Diving Boards, they did when I went there in the 50s with my mates from school.

I thought Woodcock Street baths had tiered seats alongside the pool? I went in the sixties for a school swimming gala, it could have been refurbished since then.

I think Woodcock street had two pools. I have photo's of the large pool which had spectator seats on both sides and diving boards. Oh hurry up home Steve and tell me where it is. I hate puzzles [the ones I can't solve]. Jean.

The large pool had seating along two sides. the small pool did not as far as I remember.

I swam in a few competitions at Woodcock big pool,but that one Jean looks to long for the small pool but i could be wrong

MOSSY

Could it be the one that was at Small Heath: Little Green Lane/Green Lane/Coventry Rd ? I worked at Wimbush's and we used one just like that at lunch times. The pool was next to the Small Heath library, just across the road and around the corner from the Wimbush's Factory.
View attachment 15126

Pom

Couldn't wait for Steve to come home I e.mailed the photo's to him. He took them when he was doing risk assessments. I'll use this as a quiz and let you know the answer later. Jean.

My guess is Erdington- Mason Road. Looks as though the diving boards were removed. They caused a lot of problems since the pool wasn't very big.
I used to go there all the time and I received my first certificates from there
as we went with our junior school to swim. I remember my father coming to watch me swim 28 lengths. I was so dizzy when I climbed out of the pool I almost fell back in. Happy memories though.

The changing rooms were all made of wood in the l950's. They have an excellent web site with all kinds of swimming classes. My Mom used to go with her friend to the Turkish Baths there and they are still there today although it looks like they are being renovated. The only Turkish Baths left in Brum I believe.

There are no boards at Erdington any more Alf.

I would take a pic when we are next there but camera's are not allowed in....

The baths look much the same now (when was the photo taken?),except on the right hand side of the doors a double cubicle has been fitted. The plastic chairs are still set in the corner but there's never enough!

It looks like Erdington swimming baths in Mason Road. There haven't been diving boards there for many years.

I remember Woodcock Street being much bigger with high diving boards.

Keith

As you said Jean it looks a bit like Handsworth pool but I guess all the pools built at that time look much the same. I haven't been in there since the 1950's like Alf, I just remember the changing rooms along the side but as I say I'm sure others are the same. Mo

No it didn't come out bigger oh well. Just google Erdington swimming baths and look at images . This picture will come up.

Definitely Erdington. Had some happy hours there.
Diving boards Alf! Your not allowed to jump in these days.

Back