• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Do i need to pay for records from st edwards home? (father hudson homes)

grandaughter82

master brummie
hi,
just had a baby so on maternity leave whilst baby is sleeping I've started picking up from where i left off with my family tree which gets more and more interesting!! :peaceful::encouragement:
its hard because on my dads side of family my nan and grandad kept everything very secret which i found out my great nan lived in an asylum from when she was 40 isn to when she died at 92 :upset: (I've still yet to find out why she was admitted hopefully birmingham library will help me there!!)

what I'm looking at now is my grandads (william francis steeles) half brother ARTHUR LEASON WEBB (different dad same mother) I'm not even sure if my grandad knew about him :/ ??
the census records show me that my grandad was adopted when his mother emily jane steeles entered the asylum but his half brother goes off the radar till a kind person on here had a look and told me he was in st edwards home.

ive had a google and found a website father hudson home which may have the records it tells me to dil in form then pay paypal £30 wow!!!! :eek: I'm just seeking advice if anybody else has obtained records from this site. I'm a little uneasy about parting with that much money when i don't even know if they have the records.

any advice would be great thnx xxx

Hi - Someone will know but I fear that the £30-00 is a search fee payable whether or not they find anything.

I have downloaded the form and it actually states at the bottom that the £30 is non-refundable

Last edited:
hi,
just had a baby so on maternity leave whilst baby is sleeping I've started picking up from where i left off with my family tree which gets more and more interesting!! :peaceful::encouragement:
its hard because on my dads side of family my nan and grandad kept everything very secret which i found out my great nan lived in an asylum from when she was 40 isn to when she died at 92 :upset: (I've still yet to find out why she was admitted hopefully birmingham library will help me there!!)

what I'm looking at now is my grandads (william francis steeles) half brother ARTHUR LEASON WEBB (different dad same mother) I'm not even sure if my grandad knew about him :/ ??
the census records show me that my grandad was adopted when his mother emily jane steeles entered the asylum but his half brother goes off the radar till a kind person on here had a look and told me he was in st edwards home.

ive had a google and found a website father hudson home which may have the records it tells me to dil in form then pay paypal £30 wow!!!! :eek: I'm just seeking advice if anybody else has obtained records from this site. I'm a little uneasy about parting with that much money when i don't even know if they have the records.

any advice would be great thnx xxx

hello,

All you have to do is write to the Father Hudson's Society at Coleshill. (they have their own Website) By law they have to provide you with the relevant information as long as you can prove you are a relative.You may be asked for a donation,but as far as I am aware you should not be charged.Write or e-mail them to establish as to whether he was there.
good luck
morris116

hello,

All you have to do is write to the Father Hudson's Society at Coleshill. (they have their own Website) By law they have to provide you with the relevant information as long as you can prove you are a relative.You may be asked for a donation,but as far as I am aware you should not be charged.Write or e-mail them to establish as to whether he was there.
good luck
morris116

I have just found out my Grandfather went to one of these homes, and I was worried about the £30 fee, so I am going to contact them first..
Julie-anne

I have just found out my Grandfather went to one of these homes, and I was worried about the £30 fee, so I am going to contact them first..
Julie-anne
My Grand-Dad was with Fr Hudsons homes in Coleshill and I phoned them up and managed to get his files (copies) no charge. Grand-Dad was sent to Canada as an 8 year old in 1912. Hope you get yours with no charge

Back