• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Digbeth Music Hall London Museum Music Hall

The London Music Hall opened in 1863 and was nicknamed The Mucker, it later changed name to The Canterbury Music Hall. In 1912 it opened as the Bull Ring Cinema and operated as such until December 1931 when it closed. Since then it has many uses. I have memories of it as an amusement arcade in the early 60's, the building itself was pretty ropey even back then.

Attachments

• City Park St London Museum & Concert Hall.jpg
    City Park St London Museum & Concert Hall.jpg
    283.2 KB · Views: 15
Hi Phil, strikes me there's been regular attempts over a very long period of time to improve the place. Even Mike's 1863 Gazette clipping in post #23 strives to give it a more 'respectable' image.

Viv.

The demolition of the old music hall on Park Street. The building is going down fast!

20th October 2017

26th October 2017

thanks ell..knew it would not be there for much longer...another bit of brum history raised to the ground slowly but surely we are losing it all...:mad:

Is there now going to be any archaeological survey of the ground ? After all the music hall was there for a very long time (150 years) and it's a key location relating to the early development of Birmingham. Viv.

It's all gone - well most of it. Few bits on the ground floor to knock down.

Views from the no 45 bus.

Thanks Ell and Horsencart for recording the demolition of the Music Hall. We might in future be able to glean snippets of information about the structure from them. If there are any other images of the earlier stages of demolition, be good to see as we don't have any images of the interior, although from information on this thread it would have been severely altered from the old music hall days of course. Viv.

A few weeks ago from the bridge from Moor Street Car Park to Selfridges. Think the demolition has stopped for now, as the bus stop on Park Street is open again.

I wonder if the contractors were meant to make a start on the building next door?

What's the structure behind the bus in Ell's post #52 ? An air raid shelter ? Or was it part of the Music Hall, pub or something else ? Viv.

I was hoping to work out what they are doing but there are 223 documents on the planning site so it might take me a while but I can tell that where they have started is only the first phase.
I think these are the final plans.

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-18_8-26-23.png
    upload_2017-12-18_8-26-23.png
    179.6 KB · Views: 3
I think it can be assumed -well I hope so - that anywhere in Digbeth and the surrounding areas that have not been subjected to recent, within say, the last twenty years, re-development are probably of great archaeological importance whenever new developments take place.

Back