• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Desmo

P

peter brown

Does anyone know the origins of this firm, who made a huge variety of car accessories over a fifty year period? I understand it was started in 1922 and was taken over in 1926 by the Harris & Sheldon Group. In 1939 the works was in Bracebridge Street but by 1950 manufacturing had moved to Scholefield Street. Desmo ended its days in the Midlands on an industrial estate at Kingswinford and the firm's name was sold by H&S to the Paddy Hopkirk Group.

But who was Des and who was Mo and are there any photographs surviving of the works before the war?

Any info gratefully received.
regards
Peter Brown, Dorset (ex-Walmley)

I can't help you with the history of Desmo but my father worked there in the toolroom. He was involved in the tooling for Desmos unique "Boomerang" wing mirror that sprung back when knocked out of position.
They had a booth at the motor show and a demo rig that Freddy Mills the boxer punched as a publicity stunt.
Desmo also manufactured picnic chairs and tables that folded up to fit in the boot of your car.

Thank you very much. Freddie Mills was quite a character, involved with organised crime and friendly with the Kray brothers. He died violently in 1965, supposedly by is own hand.

Back