• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Derrington Manor, Yardley

daverock

master brummie
Hi Does anyone have any information or pictures of Derrington Manor it was in the Yardley area & was demolished to make way for houses after the 2nd World War I think.
Cheers
Dave Rock

I can't believe that no one has heard of this place, I have a friend called Neil derrington visiting from Australia & he has a picture of his great uncle at the place after the first war. He is coming to Birmingham next week i was hoping for some more info for him.
please have a check for me.
Cheers
Dave

Dave I have had a search an as you say there doesn't seem to be anything on Derrington Manor in Yardley. I did find a connection with the name Derrington to brick makers in Yardley.
On a smaller scale my relatives had a house in Sutton named Aragon House this was a large house demolished and a road of houses built the road is called Aragon Close.

I did look for a Derrington Road or Estate with no luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
I too have had a search for Derrington manor and the only things that come up are in the wrong area - Stafford and Shropshire.
Where did you get the information you have got - are you sure it was called Derrington manor?:)

Interestingly there is a Manor House Lane and a Moat Lane in Yardley B26 either side of a large grass area - Does Yardley have a local History group?

I had a quick look on Ancestry and not sure but found in 1891 a Josiah Derrington and family at The Manor House, Lyndon Green, Solihull. His occupation is brick manufacturer.

Here is the manor house in c 1889. It would seem to have been on a site now just inside the bend on manor house lane . Kellys shows that it was occupied by (councillor) Josiah Derrington from sometime between 1868 and 1872 (before which he lived in Kyrwicks Lane) till about 1897. Can't find it listed under that name after

manorhouselyndongreenmapc1888.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Dave,
In reply to your question, Derrington Manor was in fact The Manor House in Manor house lane Yardley. I am a distant relative and have a photo of the Manor house before it was demolished.
I would be very interested in a copy of the photo you describe that Neil has with his grandad.
Please get in touch.
Jim

This is a photo of Yardley Manor House, once home of the Derrington Family of Derringtons Brickworks.

Phil

Attachments

• Yardley The Manor House once home of the Derrington Family of Derrington Brickworks..jpg
    Yardley The Manor House once home of the Derrington Family of Derrington Brickworks..jpg
    121 KB · Views: 71
I can't believe that no one has heard of this place, I have a friend called Neil derrington visiting from Australia & he has a picture of his great uncle at the place after the first war. He is coming to Birmingham next week i was hoping for some more info for him.
please have a check for me.
Cheers
Dave
My great grandfather & family lived in the Manor House. Do you have details of Neil Derrington as he sounds like a distant relative. bfn Peter Derrington

My great grandfather & family lived in the Manor House. Do you have details of Neil Derrington as he sounds like a distant relative. bfn Peter Derrington
Hi Farris, I have been communication with Neil in Australia for about 5 years and am still in touch with him. We have been able to formulate the Derrington family tree going back to 1600's. I have placed a copy in the Birmingham library archives. I have some photo's of the manor house and of the Derrington's who lived there. I also have photo's of the graves of a number of the family who are buried in Yardley cemetery.
Please get in touch if you would like any further information.

Here is the manor house in c 1889. It would seem to have been on a site now just inside the bend on manor house lane . Kellys shows that it was occupied by (councillor) Josiah Derrington from sometime between 1868 and 1872 (before which he lived in Kyrwicks Lane) till about 1897. Can't find it listed under that name after
Hi Farris, I have been communication with Neil in Australia for about 5 years and am still in touch with him. We have been able to formulate the Derrington family tree going back to 1600's. I have placed a copy in the Birmingham library archives. I have some photo's of the manor house and of the Derrington's who lived there. I also have photo's of the graves of a number of the family who are buried in Yardley cemetery.
Please get in touch if you would like any further information.
Dear Kooglescriber65,
Very many thanks for your reply and I would love to go to the Archives to view the record: can I just go and ask or is it best to get an appointment? I have a couple of photos of the Manor House & possibly a view of the back garden but if it is at all possible, can you email me pictures of the Derringtons who lived there? [email protected]

Dear Kooglescriber65,
Very many thanks for your reply and I would love to go to the Archives to view the record: can I just go and ask or is it best to get an appointment? I have a couple of photos of the Manor House & possibly a view of the back garden but if it is at all possible, can you email me pictures of the Derringtons who lived there? [email protected]
Hi Farris,
If you can wait a couple of months until people are allowed to visit each other or meet in coffee houses etc,. I would be more than happy to share the wealth of info I have on the Derrington family. My mom was a Derrington and we are connected to the family through my great great granddad who was William Derrington. In the meantime I will try to email a couple of photo's, The main one being Josiah Derrington himself.

Back