• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Dennis Road Secondary Modern Boys School

Request for school photos for 1958-1961 please

Hi I was wondering if anyone has any pictures from Dennis Road school for around the dates above? Or maybe where im able to find some from please? Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Rachel. I've moved your separate request (now post #271) to this thread as its more likely to be picked up by people with an interest/info about the school on here. There are already quite a few photos on this thread. You say you can't see them, but have you looked at Phil's suggestions (post #268) ? Viv.

Hi jule - it was during the 60s (he was born 1949) & his family lived 53 Ladypool Rload (when we married 1966, we lived for a year, with our baby, in the front room).

Does any one remember the kids from the children's home? They would have been there around 1955/60

Hi jule thanks again for your reply re John Sattar (birth name Abdul Hakim Sattar - his dad Asian & his mom, white, from Newcastle) it was during the 60s (he was born 1949) & his family lived 53 Ladypool Rload (when we married 1966, we lived for a year, with our baby, in the front room). His brother Peter Sattar (birth name Mohammed Hammid Sattar) & they had a sister called Molly (birth name Malaka Sattar). I've only just thought about what names they ware known as at school. Cheers Jule - thanks for our interest - Pat Sattar (birth surname Jennings)

I was at DRSMB from 1954 1958 I remember Les Draper he drowned in the canal If I remember correctly..Terry Ward was a Singer with a show band and a glazier by trade.....the teacher who was my favourite was Wacker Waithe lots of stories about him....but what a school we had It all woodworking Metalworking Science Tech drawing ..art the lot..we were taughtb proper life skills.....I went on to migrate to Australia and had a career with Ford as an manufacturing engineer with 35 years of service......shows what a well rounded education can do......one last memory Clive Bishop a real larrikin.....

I remember Les draper I don't know if you remember me I am Derek smith use to live in Durham road
Goodday Derek I had a friend in Durham Rd Tony Smith, his dad ran a carpentry business any relation?my name is Tony Reed I dont remember you personally.......

Goodday Derek I had a friend in Durham Rd Tony Smith, his dad ran a carpentry business any relation?my name is Tony Reed I dont remember you personally.......
Hi there Derek I need to make a correction after much thought I have remembered my mate in Durham st wasn't Tony Smith but Tony Green he lived near the stoney Lane end on the left near the bottom....Tony

I too am a graduate of the Dennis Road academy for misfits. Bounders and budding tea leafs.

I did my time from 1958 to 1962, classes 1.1 Mr Owen, 2.1 Mr Biddle 3.1 Mr Jones and the last year 4.1 Mr Tebbut.

I see old Bertie Biddle in your photo’s. he was a grand old man, and he knew his history, and often talked to us about WW1 when he was gassed in the trenches. And why not? He was there and he had lived through it loosing many of his friends in the process, so why shouldn’t he talk about it? I'm afraid he would be thought not very PC today.

I also recognise some of the faces in the 62/63 fifth year. It was voluntary then, you could stay on from 15-16 for an extra year if you wished. I think there is about a half a dozen there on the right that I recognise.

Mr Griffin on the one photo was head teacher during my sojourn at this seat of learning.

Phil
Can you show photos

Anyone on this forum who would have been at Dennis Road school from 1951 to 1955?

My name is Geoff Lees and I lived in Runcorn Road.

pmc I was born Oct 1947 and was probably in the year below you as you noticed Alan Jevons. Who were the Stringers. Yes thats me at the end of the line right back row in the 5ths. I was in the 1st 5ths if you see what i mean? do you know the other guys and can you name some like Lenny Cox on the back row who played for the famouse 60,s band "The King Bees" See brum bands history site "Brumbeat". I do remember the film nights with no chics, that was the only problem with Dennis Road no girls didnt do anything for our chat up lines. They even stopped the dance lesons at conway Road School in my last year, I'm sure I could tast Bromide in the small bottles of milk.
My dad was born January 1947 name Patrick Lettis anyone remembers him message me would like to see pictures from 1962/63 plz

Back