• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Death Registration

delwboy

proper brummie kid
I'm researching a James Bevan (1881-1925). He was buried in Witton Cemetery in May 1925 and a thanks for condolences appears in a Birmingham newspaper on 30 May 1925. However, I can't find a death entry in civil death registrations for him. Any ideas as to why that might be? I suppose he could have died abroad, but I think that is highly unlikely.

Post deleted as I had the wrong age.
A couple of James Bevans but all wrong age

Last edited:
Are you certain he died in 1925? I can see a death registration for a James Bevan in Jun 1925 aged 26 which could match the burial.

And there is a death registration for a James Bevan of the right age in Mar 1946 Bham.

Are you certain he died in 1925? I can see a death registration for a James Bevan in Jun 1925 aged 26 which could match the burial.

And there is a death registration for a James Bevan of the right age in Mar 1946 Bham.
Posting at same time - again. :rolleyes:

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS

Posting at same time - again. :rolleyes:
Age wrong on mine- will edit.

If it's either of the ones in 1925 then there would have had to have been a mistake with the age and a fairly big one.

I think this might be the James Bevan who died in May 1925
1677415932176.png
28 Angelina Street seems to be his parents house - listed there on 1911 census and he was born in 1899 which fits the age of 26 on the death reg.
Marriage of a James Bevan to Doris Jeynes registered Jan 1925.
James listed at that address on 1925 eroll

Last edited:
  • Appreciate
I think that rules out the 'thanks' applying to the James b1881 and the burial is likely to be the younger James.

So without them there is nothing to suggest that the James b1881 died in 1925.

Thanks very much for the replies. I think this James Bevan married to Doris is not my James Bevan, so I guess my James didn't die in 1925 after all.

He married Elizabeth Florence Reading in Dec q. 1900 and they had at least nine children between 1901 and 1917. (By the way his year of birth is actually 1880 Dec q.)

Last edited:
They are possibly on the ERs at 4 court 31, maybe William St. Search results are garbled and I can't see the actual scan.

A lot of men are missing - either already joined up or in occupations with recorded details. So they already had IDs
Can you find Elizabeth?
There is an Elizabeth F. Bevan in Coventry of nearly the right age with a probable daughter Margaret Bevan of nearly the right age of a known daughter. However, the head of the household appears to be a Lot Bevan who doesn't fit at all.

On the 1939 register court 31 appears to be back of 147. From the search results 4 back 147 appears to be missing (there are results for 2, 3, 5 and 6), again that's not from an actual scan.

MWS - we are postng again at the same time :D

The address 4 court 31 is completely blanked out on the 1939 reg.

1677422102214.png

• Appreciate
It's quite a mystery, @delwboy. Researching family history can sometimes lead to unexpected challenges, especially when it comes to finding records from the past. The absence of a death entry in civil registrations for James Bevan is puzzling, and there could be various reasons for it, such as clerical errors or the possibility that he passed away abroad, as you mentioned. Additionally, if you ever need support or guidance on matters related to memorializing loved ones or exploring unique ways to commemorate individuals from the past, you might want to explore https://greenfarewells.com/aquamation/. They offer eco-friendly options like Aquamation, which could be a meaningful choice for honoring the memory of individuals like James Bevan.

Last edited:
Back