• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Dawson's Corner Stechford Lane

bode5997

knowlegable brummie
Edit - post moved here from a separate thread.

Anyone remember Dawsons,Fox&Goose.They had Airfix kits upstairs and other models,and they had that mahoosive display window on the side.They used to put prams,pushchairs and toys in,AND they did not put safety mesh on the windows back then either.What was the one called by the Capital cinema,they were just on the bridge,and sold model kits and balsa radio controlled kits.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is on the forum somewhere, but I feel it's worthy of its own thread.

This has to be one of the most enterprising corner shops of the 1950s. Those of us who are old enough will remember most of these machines outside shops. Obviously, Dawsons started off as a newsagent, but the range of items for sale is very striking and diverse by this time. The shop is still there (food retail), but offering nowhere near as much interest to passers-by !

Did shopkeepers rent the machines such as the ice-cream, cigarette and weiighing scales ? And presumably they were maintained by someone else.

Screenshot_20240316_151344_Facebook.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240417_072936_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20240417_072936_Maps.jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
This is on the forum somewhere, but I feel it's worthy of its own thread.

This has to be one of the most enterprising corner shops of the 1950s. Those of us who are old enough will remember most of these machines outside shops. Obviously, Dawsons started off as a newsagent, but the range of items for sale is very striking and diverse by this time. The shop is still there (food retail), but offering nowhere near as much interest to passers-by !

Did shopkeepers rent the machines such as the ice-cream, cigarette and weiighing scales ? And presumably they were maintained by someone else.

View attachment 190718
That’s a good question Viv. I know there was a bank of cigarette machine like these outside the newsagents on Streetly Road – Short Heath Road by the 65 terminus. I recall the shop owner did have keys and would come out if there was a problem or to top the machines up.

There may have been some kind of lease arrangement between the shop and the tobacco companies, maybe the same for the milk and chewing gum machines. I also recall the cigarette machines were lit up at night and the milk machine had a fridge unit in it, so there as an electrical ill to pay.

I have read that the machines on the railway stations were filled by the company concerned, who had a monopoly. That is why you could only get Nestles (UGH) chocolate .

Last edited:
it was a brilliant shop they did a roring trade from folks going to the pictures. i think theye had another across the rd
1713352696050.jpeg

Looks like it was next door Pete. Now a barbers #889. The shop to the left sold prams and it looks like the sign is Dawsons' too. Maybe they gave up #889 and amalgamated the shops into the one at the corner. That would explain the diversity of items on offer at Dawson's Cornwr.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240417_130824_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20240417_130824_Maps.jpg
    319.6 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
This was posted by Stitcher on another thread. It's a view thought to been taken from the Beaufort Cinema.

Screenshot_20240417_131931_Samsung Internet.jpg

Back