• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Dating photo

A

AnneMac

Hi Everyone,

My first post - I hope someone can help .

Can anyone tell me approxiamtely what date this photo was taken.

Regards
Anne (Australia)

Anne, welcome to the forum, are there any details on the rear of the photograph, they will often have the studio name and address.

Colin

welcome to the forum Anne at a rough guess early 1900s looking at clothes nice picture as Colin said sometimes may have something on back have slightly adjusted exposure on picture if it works ???

Hi Colin,

Thanks very much for looking at our photo.

No there is no name on the photo. I do have a second photo of the same couple perhaps a little older. This one does have the studio name of it on as Powls & May Birmingham . I am attaching the photo for you to have a look.

Anne

On another site someone had posted this about Powls and May, Summer Lane (probably got the info from directories)
Powls and May were not at Summer lane in 1876 but were showing there in 1888. They left Summer Lane between 1906 and 1908. Assuming this info is correct it narrows it down a bit -
Polly

Ann - lovely photo's. I notice in the second pic that the lady is wearing a pocket-watch in a special wrist pouch. I have only rarely seen these 'conversion' devices and I've never seen one in a photo' before! I'm sure that this would be of interest to horologists and collectors. This is the very beginnings of the wrist watch. My father was a watch/clock collector and had several pocket-watches that had been converted to wrist-watches; usually by the clumsy addition of strap-hinge pieces. The one in the photo' retains both its original function as a pocket-watch, and then is easily converted to a wrist-watch. Similar leather wrist pouches were quite popular with the soldiers of the Boer War. She is also wearing/carry a small leather reticule attached by chain to what might possibly be a chatelaine belt. I'd hazard a guess a around 1905, but it could easily be some years earlier.

JohnO, I was just about to post to ask if anyone knew what was on the ladies wrist and then I scrolled down to your very interesting post. I didn't know Ladies wore anything so 'chunky' in those days.
Polly

Yes, it appears to be resting on some form of pad; you certainly wouldn't want to be wearing it when you went swimming!
I recall seeing one almost three times that size: it was a larger than usual pocket-watch, attached mid-way to a multi-linked bright metal brace...a bit like what archers wear for protection. It looked like something 'Zena, the Warrior Princess' might wear, if she wanted to 'time' her sword-fights! It was very impressive but WAY over the top. Great for back-handing a 'mugger' though!
icon11.png

Thanks to all who contributed .

The couple who we think the photos are of were born c1884 and married 1907. So around 1905 or so would be a perfect fit.

I personally think the ladies hairsyle in the second photo abolutely gorgeous and she is the height of elegance . Nice to know she is also keeping up with the latest technology too.

Many thanks
Anne

Back