• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Dan Pawson and his Artesian Hall Stompers TO BE MOVED

There’s a new CD out on 504/La Croix that should interest all fans & followers of Dan Pawson. A selection of tracks recorded between 1971 and 1995, it starts with three tracks recorded at the Birmingham Arms with Bob Barton and the stellar trio of Dan, Stan, and Spud who reappear sixteen years later for three more tracks recorded at Northampton. Other tracks feature Dan with New Orleans men Ernest Poree and Teddy Johnson in settings far removed from the dreaded “trad” (which Dan never ever played) and demonstrating the existence of a sort of New Orleans jump band style, relaxed, informal, and completely non-doctrinaire in approach. Dan’s vocal on Enjoy Yourself brings back happy memories of The Barrel and similar gigs. The final three tracks offer Dan with the Chris Blount Band in concert in Sweden playing two moving spirituals and a rousing Lou-Easy-An-I-Ay. Extensive and well-illustrated sleevenotes by our own Lord Richard complete a package you must all rush out and buy. £12.50 including postage. Contact Mike Dine, 20 Clifton Rd, Welling, Kent, DA16 1QA for a copy. Cheques made payable to M. Dine.
Robert Greenwood

The part I played in the production of the new CD on 504/La Croix means (quite rightly) that I cannot submit any further reviews of it to any magazine (such as New Orleans Music or Just Jazz). However, I suppose there's no harm in letting members of this forum read some of what I would have submitted if allowed. Below is my first draft for the review that won't appear.
Robert.

We are fortunate that Dan Pawson wrote so many record reviews for this magazine and its forerunner, Footnote, all displaying his deep knowledge of every aspect and period of New Orleans music, counselling caution with regard to the over-zealous preservation of what should be a living, growing, and evolving music, urging readers to a wider appreciation of its diverse pleasures by looking beyond the usual revivalist canon, and making clear his musical values, the over-riding one of which was an insistence on the functional nature of this music. These values were further demonstrated in his leadership of The Artesian Hall Stompers, a band based in his native Birmingham. The didactic, doctrinaire approach to music, and any pretention to exclusivity, was as alien to Dan as the distortions of Trad. Dan’s ideal of authenticity entailed integrating the life of the band into that of the region and its people, ensuring a place for the music at working men’s clubs and at such events as traction engine rallies, real ale festivals, and street carnivals. None of Dan’s pub gigs was ever a “recital” and one recalls those who would get up to sing a number with the band such as Hector with his castanets, and the lady whose version of The Sheik of Araby came with the refrain “wi’ me boots on kick eet oop a goomtree.”

Richard Ekins has here assembled a further fifteen tracks arranged into five groups of three covering recordings from1971 to 1998.

I must make special mention of the excellent trombone playing of Stan Stephens and the very fine drumming from Spud Spedding, both of whom are heard on the 1971 session and again 16 years later on the Buddies’ session recorded at Northampton. Stan seems to have resisted the obvious influences expected of a New Orleans-style trombonist and produces here a recognisable and individual sound perfectly complementing Dan’s singing, lyrical trumpet. Dan clearly inspired the best from his sidemen (although that hardly seems the best term for such a successfully unified group effort), and he, Stan, and Spud form a stellar and constant core to the band.

Drummer Andrew Hall made an inspired choice of personnel placing Dan with Dick Cook’s Creole-flavoured clarinet, Richard Simmons’ piano, bassist Melvin Yancey, and Ernest Poree, an alto player from New Orleans who had absorbed something from listening to Benny Carter, if not Charlie Parker. I’d have preferred another track from this session, such as Embraceable You or Don’t Take Your Love From Me, to the version of Eh La Bas offered here, but am pleased at the inclusion of Rose Roomwith Red Allen-ish trumpet from Dan, and Dan’s Funky Blues with its ribald vocal and exuberant trumpet playing.

A lovely, kind, humorous, and dedicated man who influenced so many of us, practitioners and non-practitioners alike, the world is immeasurably poorer without him. Buy this CD; in fact, buy one for yourself and one each for your next door neighbours. I guarantee they’ll enjoy it.

Out of interest I googled Dan Pawson and got the following. you probably seen it before

https://home.scarlet.be/davesenior/AHS in the 60.htm

Hello mike-g just seen your post, and was prompted to log in tonight having just received a birthday greeting from the Admins of the Birmingham History Forum (2 years to go and I will be an OAP, LOL) I see you are researching the surname Trinder, well perhaps if you PM me with your email address I can tell you about mine and see if we have any "connections"...cheers Lindsay

Many of you will know that Dan often played with Sammy Rimington over the years. Indeed, several contributors to the thread played with Sammy. Many more will have heard him.

Sammy is playing at the Little Whitley Village Hall on Friday, October 30th, starting at 6.30pm with a Ploughman's Lunch - I kid you not! (Near Worcester)

He is playing at the Hanley Castle High School on Saturday, October 31st, starting at 8pm. (Very near Upton-on-Severn)

I am booked to come to both of these gigs. It would be great to see some of you there.

He has a great international band with him.

Lord Richard:cool:

To continue on with this thread
Here's a fond memory of Dan, of a gig we did at Spode House Friary near Rugeley, Staffordshire in May 1972. It was a "Scratch Band" which John Minnion organised.It was for THE PEACE PLEDGE UNION. Bear this in mind when reading the following letter !
My Dear John,
It is not easy to arrange a party for such a wide age range as from 14 years to 82 (all of whom danced!) not to mention babies and toddlers.
Your " Salutation Stompers " were first class musicians and absolutely perfect for the occasion;we were really happy and enjoyed ourselves.

If I seemed a bit brisk at the end it was only through the terror of a General Secretary-I was too frightened to say goodbye properly in case they decided not to leave us! Extraordinary for a host to want a band that had played so well to leave when they were so cheerfully giving over-time entertainment!
My terror started when your trumpeter swayed along the passage to Father Conrads private study and bedroom calling out " F- the Pope".
Dear God.. I thought you coped brilliantly but It was a bad moment!
(Incidentally the "Head" monk in question only said mildly the next day..."yes I did hear something but I went to sleep again).You must tell me sometime how a man can play a trumpet so well when he is as "full" as he was.
Well,this is just to give you the thanks you certainly deserve and to explain why I did'nt put them over at the time.

Letter Dated 23rd May 1972......... Spud. :D

Just for the record, and to put this item in context, it should be stated that the event in question was the traditional Saturday night party of the Peace Pledge Union's Annual General Meeting and Conference, 19-21 May 1972, with the party on 20 May. The letter was obviously written by Myrtle Solomon, who retired as General Secretary that weekend, along with her assistant, Hilda Morris. There was, therefore, a special sentiment and exuberance about the occasion to show the two how much their long service was appreciated (not that they thereafter disappeared, since they both continued as active volunteers until their respective deaths). Father Conrad was the ever benign host on behalf of the monks who ran the conference centre at Spode House. John Minnion, sometime local organiser for West Midlands CND, was a good friend of the movement. What memories to bring up after 38 years!

Just for the record, and to put this item in context, it should be stated that the event in question was the traditional Saturday night party of the Peace Pledge Union's Annual General Meeting and Conference, 19-21 May 1972, with the party on 20 May. The letter was obviously written by Myrtle Solomon, who retired as General Secretary that weekend, along with her assistant, Hilda Morris. There was, therefore, a special sentiment and exuberance about the occasion to show the two how much their long service was appreciated (not that they thereafter disappeared, since they both continued as active volunteers until their respective deaths). Father Conrad was the ever benign host on behalf of the monks who ran the conference centre at Spode House. John Minnion, sometime local organiser for West Midlands CND, was a good friend of the movement. What memories to bring up after 38 years!

Thank you for adding all this. I have a copy of the actual letter but did not know most of this extra details you give, except that I know John Minnion well.:cool:

Dan Pawson and The Artesian Hall Stompers recordings are now available for all to listen to on both Youtube and Spotify.
I urge all jazz fans to have a listen, they are great.

Posting 45:

August 12th, 2008, 21:26 #45

Michael_Ingram

Extended Admin Team

Re: Dan Pawson and his Artesian Hail Stompers

Some Birmingham bands listed in Jazz in Britain by David Boulton pbl 1959:

BRITISH BANDS TODAY
MILENBERG JAZZ BAND, formed in 1954 by Jim Shelley. The group first had their headquarters at Walsall Jazz Club and local public-houses. Their efforts, however, met with the disapproval of the local constabulary, and the band moved to Birmingham. There they played the Midland Jazz Club for eighteen months before moving to the Wolverhampton Jazz Club, where they took over from the March Hares. Sessions now held at the George Hotel every Wednesday night. Band's style is traditional.

Personnel: JIM SHELLEY (banjo and leader);
JOHNNY GORDON (piano);
ALAN BAILEY (clarinet);
JOHNNY EVERETT (trumpet);
JOHN DICKENSON (trombone);
BOB LITTLEWOOD (tuba);
BILLIE ORR (vocals).
SECOND CITY JAZZMEN. Banjo-guitarist Stan Keeley, drummer Les Coton, and tuba man Len Bunch, left Birmingham's New Orleans Jazzmen and formed a new band, adhering to no particular style or period of jazz. This was in November 1956, and since then the Second City Jazzmen have become well known all through the Midlands, playing regular dates at the Midland Jazz Club, Merseysippi and Leicester Clubs. As a result of winning the Evening Dispatch band contest, the boys earned an airing on T.V.'s "Bid for Fame". They won, and as a result cut their first record for Esquire in January 1958.
Personnel: BARRY PHILLIPS (trombone); PETE VICARY (piano);

LES COTON (drums);
LEN BUNCH (tuba);
ALAN HEWITT (trumpet and clarinet);
JIM HYDE (clarinet);
DAVE LEE (clarinet);
STAN KEELEY (banjo and electric guitar).
THE JOHNNY BECK JAZZ SIX. Formed late in 1957 by alto-clarinettist Beck. Group favours modern "West Coast" school, using quite a few special arrangements by members of the band. The front line were all full-time music students at the Birmingham School of Music before they turned to jazz. Mainly resident at Birmingham's Club Bournebrook and Club '57. No recordings to date.
Personnel: JOHNNY BECK (leader, alto and clarinet);
HARRY BURROWS (tenor);
ALAN TOMBLIN (trumpet);
LES PRICE (piano);
VIENCE THOMAS (bass);
EDDY HAYNES (drums).
THE NEW ORLEANS JAZZMEN, based at King's Heath, Birmingham, were formed in 1944. Only two of the original members, Pete Rollason and Bobby Pratt, are still with the band, however. Although style leans towards New Orleans, boys try to vary the sound from number to number. Resident at the Adam and Eve, Bradford Street, the Jazzmen play "because they couldn't stop if they tried, and have no ideas of seeking fame and fortune from Playing".
Personnel: CHARLES POWELL (trombone and vocals); BOBBY PRATT (trumpet); GEORGE HUXLEY (clarinet and sop. sax); GEORGE WHEELER (banjo); PETE ROLLASON (piano); LEN RUBERY (bass); ROY SAUNDERS (drums).

Attached Thumbnails
(ed. Lord Richard: the thumbnail is the book of David Boulton, Jazz in Britain. Can anyone re-post this?)
Hello
Great to see some posts about Second City Jazzmen on here. I will enjoy reading through them. I am Len Coton’s (drummer) granddaughter. I was only 12 when he passed and so never got the chance to learn about the band first hand. I have managed to find pictures on a few forums and also someone has amazingly and very kindly added the bands album to You Tube and Spotify. Here is the You Tube link if anyone would like to listen: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_nR_G1B2nsFwGHHAIriFFRVeCBu2pYJ3Fc

It would be great to hear from anyone who remembers going to see them play.

Mel

Back