• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Dan Pawson and his Artesian Hall Stompers TO BE MOVED

Posting: 41

July 24th, 2008, 09.03

bird
Ex Brummie

Re: Dan Pawson and his Artesian Hall Stompers

I played clarinet with the AHS in 1970. I'd only been playing for about a year and encouraged by Les Page had started sitting in at odd venues. I left for London to go to university, but in the long summer break returned to Brum and played with the Artesians in a pub, the name of which escapes me, in the back streets near the bottom of Constitution Hill. It was one of those sixties box-like places. Also we used to do a residency on a riverboat on the Severn, leaving from Worcester. All of this was heady stuff for an eighteen year old, and I think myself lucky to have had such a grounding in N.O. music. I lost touch with the Midlands scene, but caught up with Dan again in the '80s when I lived in Belgium and he made a few visits. Subsequently on my return to Britain I played alongside Dan in Paul Russell's Oriole marching band and the (in)famous B&Q band. I still get to play with other ex-AHS members and indeed this week have done gigs with both Stan and Dave Senior ('Hampton'). A couple of years ago a protege of Dan's, trumpeter Keith Adams, put together a reunion band to play at his local jazz club in Kent. The lineup was Keith, myself, Stan, Spud and Clinton Sedgiey. 'Legs' Lancaster was in the audience. The high spot of the evening was when 'What a lovely way to spend an evening' was announced 'as 'What a way to spend an evening' 'Dead right' we chorused!
Anyway, a great thread and a great tribute to Dan and the AHS.

Roger Bird

Posting: 42

July 20th, 2008, 16.05 #42paul spedding
Neophyte Brummie

Another two photos from my collection. "The Cambridge" was at the back of The Ha!) of Memory,See if it brings back memories ! ?? I remember playing thursdays there in July circa 1964 and : got the princely sum of the old sixpence !! (this was in the factory fortnight ho!iday),still it covered for the pint of cider at The Greyhound.
On trombone...Dave Senior.On bass...Derek (ioverboy) Jones.Dan of course Trumpet,Me on Drums (fag hanging out of face!) Clinton Segeley..Banjo And Dick Bridges...CIarinet,from Worcester who passed away some time ago.
The Tulane Brass Band photo taken by Dans brother,Arthur who was a professional photographer was taken in Dartmouth Park,West Bromwich.
Norman Field..sax.Dave Senior..trombone.Phil WalLAito-: sax.Stan Stephens.-trombone.Paul (spud) j Spedding..snares.Dan Pawson ..trumpet.Mike Dowley..bass ; drum.Ken Pye..trumpet.Roy Lunn..clarinet.Terry Mcgrath-..sousaphone.

(Ed.Lord Richard the two photos - of AHS and TBB. Can Spud re-post them?)

Posting 43:

August 12th, 2008,15:52

Stan Stephens

Neophyte Brummie

Sorry Spud. The Tulane photo was taken in Oakwood Park, Old Meeting Street, West Bromwich. We used to rehearse in St. Andrew's Church Hall opposite on Sunday mornings which is where Rob the Raver made a lot of his recordings. See you on Thursday. Stan

Posting 44:

August 12th, 2008, 20.38

Big Gee
Journeyman Brummie

I remember The Cambridge Arms very well, but I think towards the end of its days it was mostly folkie-type bands that played there. We still sometimes go to The Prince of Wales, also in Cambridge Street, where they have Sunday afternoon live-music sessions (free!) but the place is so small it gets claustrophobic. Our good friends Claret and The Emmitt Till Band (fronted by Mick Lawson - a great musician, Brummie, and wit) play there from time to time.
On the subject of live music (becoming something of a rarity these days) the Sutton Blues Collective is going strong at The Station Inn, Sutton Coldfield. They have some pretty good bands and solo musicians once a month, and if any blues afficionado still hasn't visited, then Google 'Sutton Blues Collective' and see who's on. There's also The Tower Of Song on Pershore Road, Cotteridge.

Regards,

Big Gee

Posting 45:
August 12th, 2008, 21:26 #45
Michael_Ingram
Extended Admin Team

Re: Dan Pawson and his Artesian Hail Stompers

Some Birmingham bands listed in Jazz in Britain by David Boulton pbl 1959:
BRITISH BANDS TODAY
MILENBERG JAZZ BAND, formed in 1954 by Jim Shelley. The group first had their headquarters at Walsall Jazz Club and local public-houses. Their efforts, however, met with the disapproval of the local constabulary, and the band moved to Birmingham. There they played the Midland Jazz Club for eighteen months before moving to the Wolverhampton Jazz Club, where they took over from the March Hares. Sessions now held at the George Hotel every Wednesday night. Band's style is traditional.

Personnel: JIM SHELLEY (banjo and leader);
JOHNNY GORDON (piano);
ALAN BAILEY (clarinet);
JOHNNY EVERETT (trumpet);
JOHN DICKENSON (trombone);
BOB LITTLEWOOD (tuba);
BILLIE ORR (vocals).
SECOND CITY JAZZMEN. Banjo-guitarist Stan Keeley, drummer Les Coton, and tuba man Len Bunch, left Birmingham's New Orleans Jazzmen and formed a new band, adhering to no particular style or period of jazz. This was in November 1956, and since then the Second City Jazzmen have become well known all through the Midlands, playing regular dates at the Midland Jazz Club, Merseysippi and Leicester Clubs. As a result of winning the Evening Dispatch band contest, the boys earned an airing on T.V.'s "Bid for Fame". They won, and as a result cut their first record for Esquire in January 1958.
Personnel: BARRY PHILLIPS (trombone); PETE VICARY (piano);

LES COTON (drums);
LEN BUNCH (tuba);
ALAN HEWITT (trumpet and clarinet);
JIM HYDE (clarinet);
DAVE LEE (clarinet);
STAN KEELEY (banjo and electric guitar).
THE JOHNNY BECK JAZZ SIX. Formed late in 1957 by alto-clarinettist Beck. Group favours modern "West Coast" school, using quite a few special arrangements by members of the band. The front line were all full-time music students at the Birmingham School of Music before they turned to jazz. Mainly resident at Birmingham's Club Bournebrook and Club '57. No recordings to date.
Personnel: JOHNNY BECK (leader, alto and clarinet);
HARRY BURROWS (tenor);
ALAN TOMBLIN (trumpet);
LES PRICE (piano);
VIENCE THOMAS (bass);
EDDY HAYNES (drums).
THE NEW ORLEANS JAZZMEN, based at King's Heath, Birmingham, were formed in 1944. Only two of the original members, Pete Rollason and Bobby Pratt, are still with the band, however. Although style leans towards New Orleans, boys try to vary the sound from number to number. Resident at the Adam and Eve, Bradford Street, the Jazzmen play "because they couldn't stop if they tried, and have no ideas of seeking fame and fortune from Playing".
Personnel: CHARLES POWELL (trombone and vocals); BOBBY PRATT (trumpet); GEORGE HUXLEY (clarinet and sop. sax); GEORGE WHEELER (banjo); PETE ROLLASON (piano); LEN RUBERY (bass); ROY SAUNDERS (drums).
Attached Thumbnails
(ed. Lord Richard: the thumbnail is the book of David Boulton, Jazz in Britain. Can anyone re-post this?)

Posting: 46:
1 August 18th, 2008, 00:29
bluebrummie
Proud Brummie!

Location: Ex Nechells, Shard End, & Stetchford Now Kitts Green

Hi Richard, welcome from Kitts Green!
All the best,
Frank AKA bluebrummie.
Researching surnames Parker, Percival, Townsend, Allcott, & Woolley regarding my Parker Family Tree, also possible Family (inks to the

Famous Music Hall Star Nellie Wallace - B 1870, D 1948.
Plus I am researching the surname Foster for links to the Foster Brothers Clothing Company & their links to Deerwood Grange, Four
Oaks, where some of them lived !
Please visit my website Communication and my social network The Power Of Peace when you can!
Thanks, Namaste and peace be with you!

Posting 47:

September 9th, 2008, 17:01
paul spedding
Neophyte Brummie
bewdley,worcestershire

Photos of Dan Pawsons Tulane Brass Band at Solihull Carnival on 9th June 1979.Later the band name changed to "The Jolly Bunch " Brass Band.
Attached Thumbnails
(ed. Lord Richard - three brass band photos. Can Spud re-post?)

Posting 48:

October 13th, 2008, 08.44 #48

Robert Greenwood
Neophyte Brummie

I am delighted that Lord Richard has started a discussion thread on Dan Pawson and the Artesian Hall Stompers. Here are a few random memories.
I first met Dan in 1974 at Birmingham Poly where he was studying Town Planning and I was studying English Literature. He lived at Great Barr in those days. I had only been a fan of New Orleans jazz for about three years then and, once I left home in Rugeley, was eager to hear as much live jazz as I could now I was let loose with a student grant in the big bad city. At the time I was an ardent follower of Ken Colyer (and still am) and I didn't really get what Dan was trying to do in bringing to the Birmingham scene something of the functional music of the New Orleans dance halls, but once I heard records by Kid Thomas, Billie & Dede Pierce, Israel Gorman and others, the penny dropped and I became a devoted fan of Dan and the AHS.
The pub I most remember was The Barrel in Summer Lane. Spud Spedding played some of the finest NO style drumming I have ever heard from a European player, and Stan Stephens played beautifully laid back trombone providing the perfect foil for Dan's wonderful trumpet lead. Does anyone remember Hector? He used to get up and do a number with the band most weeks (usually Shepherd of the Hills, or Don't Laugh At Me Cause I'm a Fool) accompanying himself on the castanets. At another pub was an elderly lady whose version of The Sheik of Araby included the refrain "with me boots on kick it up a gum tree." I remember Dan as a very kind man who always had lots of time for you if he knew you loved New Orleans music. His ebullience and ribaldry masked a well-read, sensitive, and highly intelligent soul.
Eventually I moved to London and I still live & work in the south. A few years ago I had a letter published in New Orleans Music magazine where I reminisced and recounted some of the treasured memories I have of Dan and the AHS. The following issue of the magazine contained Dan's reply. A few years later Dan died and I bunked off work, got out of bed at 5 a.m. and caught the train from Euston to New Street to attend his funeral where I met up again with Spud who told me that Dan had been pleased at my letter and that it had cheered him up. I was gratified to hear this but sad that he needed to be cheered up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Posting 49

October 13th, 2008,13:16 #49
Lord Richard

Neophyte Brummie

Dear Robert and all those who have contributed to the Dan Pawson thread,

I apologise for not posting for so long.

However, only when I received an email telling me of Robert's post did I realise that so many of you had contributed.

When I have had time to digest it all - I'll be back.

You may like to know that the first 'Dan Pawson Tribute' CD has been out some time - on 504/La Croix. The second tribute CD covering the years 1971-1998 will be out, hopefully, in the early part of next year. It is the next volume of the Lord Richard Sessions - Volume 6.

Mike Dine and I have another issue planned for much later, covering the sessions that Dan arranged intending release on vinyl - but which for various reasons were never issued. A real treat in store for us Dan lovers and all those who love the 'old style' music of New Orleans.

Many thanks, again, and do keep posting. Some of your words and - possibly photos - will I feel sure be especiallly valuable for the lengthy CD booklets I am writing on Dan and his 'buddiers'.

Take it easy!

Lord Richard

Posting: 50

October 13th, 2Q08, 13:25
Robert Greenwood

Neophyte Brummie

This is great news, Richard. If there is any assistance I can offer just let me know. I have a couple of interesting letters Dan wrote me in 2001 which you may want to look at.
May I add my recommendation of the Dan Pawson Tribute CD? I'm sure it will bring back many happy memories.
Take it easy, keep it greasy, as the great man himself used to say.

Robert.

Posting 51

October 13th, 2008, 13:48 #51
Lord Richard
Neophyte Brummie
Dear Robert
Thank you so much.
I knew Dan in Birmingham from 1964-1971, and then for a year or so after I moved to London. After that, apart form the odd visit I never saw him again until 1982/1983 - once -and once more in the year before he died. He was, of course, still the 'same' Dan - quite simply one of the most important influences in my life!
So if you met him in 1974 I would very much like to continue the chat to fill in those years that you knew him - especiall for the next CD booklet.
It might get a bit detailed for a public posting. Might we email off the forum?
What do others think?
Take care
Richard

Posting 52

October 13th, 2008m 14.24 #52

Robert Greenwood
Neophyte Brummie

Dear Richard

Of course you may contact me off the forum if our discussion strays from its remit, which I think it will. Please get in touch.

In my last e-mail I meant to add that Dan can also be heard on another 504/La Croix CD featuring him with the Barry Martyn Band and the New Orleans trombonist Louis Nelson. One track even features Dan playing the violin.

Robert.

Posting 53:

Lord Richard
Neophyte Brummie

Originally Posted by paul spedding

Hello Big Gee,
I've played drums alongside Les Page in various bands in Brum, he was also the MC at the waterworks and the Oxfam Stomps. I'm playing "The Nautical Club",
Bishopsgate Street, Near 5 ways on 19th July 08, for the Dave Donohoe Band.
Les was a good player and did some vocals as well. We played his wifes funeral, Alice who was Canadian and also we played les's funeral a few years later.
I've not seen any Website by Dans sons.... DeDE of
Spud.

Hello Spud and Big Gee

The website you are looking for, I think, is the web site of Spencer William Pawson. If you Google Spencer Pawson you will get it. It includes under '66 My Father and my friend', Dan's obituary from the Times. If DD Pawson, Dan's elder son has a web site I would very much like to know.
Spencer is being enormously helpful in gathering material for the Dan Pawson Tribute CDs.

Hope this helps.

Lord Richard

Posting 54

October 13th, 2008, 19.36 #54

paul spedding
Neophyte Brummie

Hello Robert,
"SPUD" here ! Great to see you have reached and contributed to this thread ! A very interesting letter indeed of times past with fond memories.
Hector Powell also sang (after holidays in Spain ) "Viva la spania" along with his castanets.
I know you live in Kent,but December 2006 Keith Adams,A Trumpet player from Solihull organized a Artesian Hall Stompers reunion gig near his home at Charing Kent,the gig was near Faversham,Keith Adams(trumpet) Stan Stephens (trombone) Roger Bird (reeds) Clinton Sedgely(banjo) and yours truly on drums.Also John "Legs" Lancaster was present but did'nt play.
Had I got your contact details I would have certainley let you know!
Perhaps you could let me know your contact details If anything comes up down your way. My email >>>>>> [email protected] Or through this thread, or send pm.
"Cheers + Beers" (another Dan saying)........ Spud.

PS>>>> Photo attatched Is of that session near Faversham,Kent.

Attached Thumbnails

(ed. Lord Richard. Can you attach photo, again, Spud?)

Posting 55:

October 13th, 2008, 21:24
Lord Richard

Neophyte Brummie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay & Clive's funeral yesterday was a rather splendid affair which I hope the lovely Lord Richard will enlarge upon when he gets back home.
Meanwhile, attached to this posting is a photograph taken by my husband Alistair yesterday, of Stan and Spud and two other friends whose names I didn't know. They played as Clive's coffin was taken from the hearse and borne into the Chapel, and again as we all came out after the service. Well done lads, it was much appreciated.

Lindsay, thanks so much for posting this picture of Stan and Spud and the guys from Cardiff giving Claude his 'send off. Claude often told me that 'Walking with the King' was the number he used to like hearing Dan and the AHS play most.

I October 13th, 2008, 21:28

The 'mens' played it for Claude at his funeral. Very fitting!
Lord Richard

Posting 56

October 13th, 2008, 21.28 #56

Lord Richard

Neophyte Brummie

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul spedding
Maurice and ali others on this thread, Photo of Dan Pawson at The Barrel,Summer Lane.Me on Drums,Brian (smiley) Helliwell on Guitar and "Spock" on Sax.
Other Pubs of note»> The Greyhound,Hoiloway Head.
The Salutation,Summer Lane.
Enjoy the memories from one of my 24 scrapbooks! SPUD.

Spud - the picture of The Greyhound! - Brilliant! I went there quite frequently with Dan and the mens, in the 60s. My favourite Greyghound story was of the guys who got so drunk they would end the evening chewing their broken
pint plasses, so drunk they were oblivious to the blood gushing from their lips and mouths. Or as this an urban myth??

Posting 57:

October 13th, 2008, 21:50 #57
paul spedding
Neophyte Brummie
bewd!ey,worcestershire

Richard,
"Greyhound" and "Salutation" photos Dan took those shots! I'm not sure about the chewing of the pint glasses though ! Thanks for the link to Spencer Pawson Website, Cheers, Spud.

Posting 58

October 14th, 2008, 13:43 #58
Robert Greenwood
Neophyte Brummie

With reference to Les & Alice Page, I well remember one night in the 70s when Dan and the AHS were playing a one-off Friday night gig at The Jug (anyone remember that one? It was a John Minimum, sorry, Minnion gig) and Dan announced the old Creole number Salee Dame which he translated as "the dirty lady." Les & Alice were sat in the front row and could be heard to dispute the accuracy of this translation at which Dan, having none of this, grabbed the microphone and announced: "It's called The Dirty Lady and b*ll*cks to you!"

Do you have any photos of the pubs of Dan's regular Thursday gigs with the Artesians? As you know, there were many venues. On this site, we have the inside of the Cambridge, the outside of the Salutation, and, now, the Pelican. Do you have more?

Lord Richard

(ed. Lord Richard. This follows the previous posting and precedes the next posting. I have no more details of it. A page is missing from my hard copy records. It must have been posting 59 or 60. Internal evidence suggests that is posting 60, and posting 59 is missing. Any ideas, anyone?)

Posting 61

October 15th, 2008, 19.22 #61

paul spedding

Neophyte Brummie

bewdley, Worcestershire

Richard, I'll ook for anymore pub photos, if i can't find i'll have to go into Brum to see whats left standing !! "The Wellington" on Bristol road is still there,and "The White Horse Cellars" on Constituition Hill.
Spud.

Back