• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Dan Pawson and his Artesian Hall Stompers TO BE MOVED

Posting 11:

Lord Richard

Neophyte Brummie

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Gee
Hi Richard.

This is a fabulous thread!

I can't believe you've seen June recently. I fancied her something rotten back then! She broke my heart when she went off with a guy called Jim Rocket -nobody was known by their real name in those days, as you no doubt recall.

A lot of the old Salutation regulars (me included) ended up drinking at the Brown Lion, Hall Street, just up from the White Horse. There was never any jazz there, but it was a good old pub all the same. Grampus is no longer with us, sadly - he was a very good friend of mine indeed. Neither is Bomber or Les Page. Harry Tater emigrated to Australia and disappeared. Aidan I saw last year at an Em mitt Till concert in Shenstone, but he was just about to move to Ireland and we've not heard from him since. He plays great mandolin and banjo. Claude is still around, according to Aidan, but not seen for many a year. The others I named have just vanished into the mists.

Apart from Stan, I don't recall the names of the other AHS members you mention, but I reckon I'd recognise them even now.
The other place I recall was the (in)famous No 27 Bristol Road, a large house near the junction with Belgrave Road. I haven't a clue who owned it, but it was just one long party there. I think there's a MacDonafds where it used to stand.
If I could get it, I'd down a pint of rough cider to the old days!

Big Gee

Dear Big Gee

Thank you for this. My memory of No 27 Bristol Road was throwing a jam sandwich at the fronty door in drunken pique after being refused entry - but I may have got the wrong place! Perhaps, they admitted anyone!

I forget who Adian was. I thought at first you might have meant Adrian - the bicycle rider, famous for drinking half a pint of his own urine.

Have you more details on Harry Tater? Bomber, Claude, Jogono (? spelling), Grampus and Les Page, I remember well.

But do you have any photos of these guys - and/or the pubs : of those jazz days - inside or out? Bands of pub goers?

Can you give more details on Jim Rocket. I think I remember him, but not sure.
Take it easy

Lord Richard:cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

Posting 13

June 22nd, 2008,18:17 #13
Lindsay
Neophyte Brummie​
Re: Dan Pawson and his Artesian Hall Stompers
I've only just found this forum and have been interested in the wonderful thread about Dan Pawson and the Artesians. How I wish I had been "on the scene" fn the old days!
I regret to say that Clive Deacon (aka Claude) mentioned in a previous post passed away suddenly on 12th 3une. The funeral is tomorrow (23rd June) at midday at Yardley Crematorium.
I'm sorry for the short notice but my account has only just been activated. I understand that Lord Richard will be flying over from Ireland to be at the funeral. I look forward to meeting him although I wish it was under more pleasant circumstances.
My husband and I met Clive 20 years ago when he was the Chairman of the North Oxford Branch of CAMRA and he introduced us to Dan and his band at that time. We used to go to the Sunday iunchtime sessions in Birmingham when we could. I'm sorry I don't remember the names of the pubs -only the Stewponey immediately springs to mind. I also remember regular sessions in the Lamplighter in Stratford on Avon, and a character known as Blind Larry, with a little old Jack Russell dog that used to bark when the band played. When Blind Larry died the little dog was put to sleep and buried with him.
I recall some occasional band members apart from the ever-constant Stan Stephens. "Portland" Bill Scott on banjo and Spud Spedding on drums; there was also an occasional bass-player and a clarinettist.
"Jim the Rocket" is still around Morris Dancing for Ilmington, sadly the Bomber passed away some years ago. "Ron the Spider" who sold Clive his MG Magnette, known as "The Chrome Nut" in the early 70s, passed away about 18 months ago.

More when memory permits!

Posting: 14

11 June 22nd, 2008, 21:10 #14

Journeyman Brummie

Hi Lindsay,
Sad news. I'll repiy more fuily to your PM.
Regards,
Big Gee

Posting 15:

June 24th, 2008, 09:46 #15
Lindsay

Neophyte Brummie

Re: Dan Pawson and his Artesian Hail Stompers

Clive's funeral yesterday was a rather splendid affair which I hope the lovely Lord Richard will enlarge upon when he gets back home.

Meanwhile, attached to this posting is a photograph taken by my husband Alistair yesterday, of Stan and Spud and two other friends whose names I didn't know. They played as Clive's coffin was taken from the hearse and borne into the Chapel, and again as we all came out after the service. Well done lads, it was much appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails

(Lord Richard ed: the thumbnail did not come out in my copy. It is of 'Stan and Spud and two other friends'. It would be great if Lindsay would re-post this photograph.:cool:)

Posting 16:

June 24th, 2008, 16:21 #16
Lindsay

Neophyte Brummie

Can't seem to add the link but if you go on to Youtube and
put Dan Pawson in the search box there are several videos of
him in action......

Posting: 18:

June 24th, 2008, 17:06 #18
Lindsay
Neophyte Brummie

That's interesting stuff - oh by the way, I wonder if the recording, "One For Larry" is the Blind Larry that I mentioned in a previous post. I'm certain I met him in the Lamplighter but it COULD have been the Cross Keys....?

Posting: 19

June 25th, 2008, 10:54 #19
Stan Stephens

Neophyte Brummie

Hi Richard
I am so pleased to be able to join this forum. Thank you for inviting me, albeit as a result of the sad occasion of Claude's funeral on Monday. Already, by reading this thread, my memory bank is swelling again. The nicknames, so familiar from the old days, still resonate in my mind. Grampus is the one I could not recall but this correspondence has restored his image, although I believe he died some years ago. Jane, June and Jim the Rocket were at the funeral. I am pleased we were able to put a small band together to offer our last tribute to Claude's memory.
There are many things I recollect from the 60s onwards and hope to share some of them in future postings. Here's a taster. On the 'Thursday" clubs that originated at the Firebird Cafe, Carr's Lane, now submerged under a patch of grass, Dan and I would always begin the evening at the Greyhound, Holloway Head, where we drank cider or Beard's Home Brew. When the Firebird closed down subsequent venues were the Salutation, Drover's Arms and the Barrel, Summer Lane. Other notable jazz venues were the Old Stone Cross, Dale End and the Birmingham Arms where Richard recorded us for his La Croix label.

Cheers

Stan

Posting 20

June 25th, 2008, 10:58 #20
Lindsay

Neophyte Brummie

Glad you found your way here, Stan! Lindsay -x­

Posting 21:

June 25th, 2008, 11:09 #21
Stan Stephens
Neophyte Brummie

Lindsay
The other two musician's playing at Claude's funeral were Eddie Williams (tpt) and Alun Jones (clt, Algy Sandwich in Claude's nomenclature) both from South Wales and members past and/or present of the Icon Jazz Band and Adamant Brass Band (named after a urinal they were using at the time of the band's inception.

Stan

Posting: 22

June 25th, 2008, 11:19 #22
Lindsay
Neophyte Brummie

Thanks Stan, I'm sorry I didn't know them, we are practically neighbours! I remember once going with Clive to an event in Cardiff before all those splendid little pubs were gone forever - probably in 1993. We marched around the streets behind the musicians, calling in at various watering-holes on the way. The leader (or Marshall as I think you call him) was a magnificent black fellow with a bowler hat and whistle who kept everything in order. I once saw him on TV -I will have to search out some photos. Is he still around?

I recall almost tripping over Dan at the entrance to one of the pubs that day, and I said, "Hello Dan are you having a good day?".... he said nothing but gave me a huge kiss...!!!

Lindsay

Posting 23:

June 25th, 2008, 11:27 #23
Stan Stephens
Neophyte Brummie

Hi Lindsay. I'm not sure if the big black marshall is still around; I played with the Adamant at Leaf's funeral last year and in Brecon but he wasn't with them. He may have died but the Cardiff guys will know. I'll make some enquiries.

Stan

Posting 24:

mossg
Novice Brummie

I used to go to "The Barrel"Summer Lane, on Sunday lunch time during the 70s. Danny & the AHS used to play there. They were often the worse for wear after a heavy nights boozing at the previous nights gig. One Sunday they were in a worse state than normal, the previous night they had played a working mens club in the black country, just as a joke the steward had a bottle of meths on the counter with a price tag stating 2p per nip, the band drank the lot, Maurice.

Posting 25:

June 27th, 2008, 19:47 #25
paul spedding
Neophyte Brummie
bewd ley, worcestersh i re

Re: Dan Pawson and his Artesian HalE Stompers

Quote:
Originaily Posted by mossg H / used to go to "The Barrel" Summer Lane, on Sunday lunch time during the 70s. Danny & the AHS used to play there.They were often the worse for wear after a heavy nights boozing at the previous nights gig. One Sunday they were in a worse state than normal,the previous night they had played a working mens club in the black country, just as a joke the steward had a bottle of meths on the counter with a price tag stating 2p per nip,the band drank the lot Maurice.

Hello Maurice, I used to piay at The Barrel !!! Yes It's me, "Spud" on drums
If the photo has attached Its self taken at The Barrel, Dan on trumpet, "Spock" morgan on Sax, and Brian "Smiley" Helliwell on Guitar.

PS. I don't think the photo has attatched,or I don't see any
"confirmation" that It has !
Spud.

Posting 26:

June 27th, 2008, 20:24 #26
mossg
Novice Brummie

Hello Spud,
I hope you are keeping well.You and the boys gave myself and my friends great pleasure while playing "The Barrel" and other venues.
Unfortunatly the photo didn't attach, please try again,it would
be great to see it.
Maurice.

Posting 27:

June 27th, 2008, 20:29 #27
Lindsay
Neophyte Brummie
Hi Spud nice to see you aboard, I'll find a pic of you and post
it....

Lindsay -x-

Posting 28:

June 27th, 2008, 20:35
Lindsay
Neophyte Brummie
aoladp://MA21558092-0003/Macpics%20Artesians%[/FONT]
[FONT=MS Reference Sans Serif]20Marlborough%2089-lJPG

Here is Dan, Stan and Spud on drums taken at the
Marlborough Jazz Festival towards the end of the 80s. Sorry
it is not a good picture as it is a photocopy of a picture taken
by the banjo-player Mac MacDonald who is my late father's
cousin.....

Last edited by Lindsay; June 27th, 2008 at 20:37. Reason: oh - pic wouldn't load, sorry I don't know what the problem is.

Posting 29:

June 28th, 2008, 08:23 #29
Lindsay
Neophyte Brummie

Hi All hopefully the picture has loaded this time. Dan, Stan and Spud at Marlborough about 1989......

Attached Thumbnails

Lord Richard ed: unfortunately I cannot copy in the thumbnail. Lindsay - can you do this?

Posting 30:

June 28th, 2008, 20:37 #30
Big Gee

Journeyman Brummie

Shortly after Dan's early death a couple of years ago, his son had a website dedicated to his memory, but I can no longer locate it. Maybe it's been pulled, but if anyone knows its address I'd love another look.

Back in the 1960's when my parents were on holiday I threw a party at our (small) house. Dan turned up unexpectedly thanks to over-enthusiastic advertising of my party, and he ended up playing numbers on the roof of my dad's shed at 3.00am. Amazingly, none of the neighbours called the cops or even complained - they were probably listening!

Does anyone reading this remember Les Page, a blues guitarist who (if memory serves) was an organiser of the Waterworks Jazz Club in the old St Phillips Old Boys club in Edgbaston? He played all over Brum, and was a lovely bloke - small, chirpy cockney with a goatee, and he took me on one side one night and showed me how to play 9th, 11th and 13th chords on guitar. Long gone now, but a real character from Brum's musical past.

Regards,

Big Gee

Posting 31

June 29th, 2008, 07:36 #31
paul spedding
Neophyte Brummie
bewdley,worcestershire

Hello Big Gee,
I've played drums alongside Les Page in various bands in Brum,he was also the MC at the waterworks and the Oxfam Stomps. I'm playing "The Nautical Club", Bishopsgate Street,Near 5 ways on 19th July 08, for the Dave Donohoe Band,
Les was a good player and did some vocals aswell,We played his wifes funeral, Alice who was Canadian and also we played les's funeral a few years later.
I've not seen any Website by Dans sons......DeDE or
Domonic. Spud.
Last edited by paul spedding; July 3rd, 2008 at 27:43. Reason: Change of Venue, for 19th July.

Posting 33:

June 29th, 2008, 21:38 #33

Big Gee
Journeyman Brummie

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul spedding
Hello Big Gee,
I've played drums alongside Les Page in various bands in Brum,he was also the MC at the waterworks and the Oxfam Stomps. I'm playing the Waterworks on 19th July 08, for the Dave Donohoe Band,the club is now situated at Gough street. Les was a good player and did some vocals aswell, We played his wifes funeral, Alice who was Canadian and also we played les's funeral a few years later.
I've not seen any Website by Dans sons DeDE or
Domonic. Spud.

Hello Spud,

It was Dominic's website. I've had another search for it tonight, but can't find it. I can recall going to parties at Dan's house in Great Barr, where his wife Pat would produce vast quantities of home-made wine...some good, some not so good....and then walking unsteadily home to Perry Barr at about 6.00 am.

Nice to read your mem's of Les Page. I don't remember his wife, I have to confess. But you couldn't miss Les. He could play pretty good Django Reinhardt when he put his mind to it.
Cheers,
Big Gee

Posting 34

June 29th 2008, 21:41 #34

Big Gee
Journeyman Brummie

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lloyd

See him play on [URL="https://uk.youtube.com/watch"]https://uk.youtube.com/watch[/URL]?

v=gPH7IS_TarY

and other videos https://uk.youtube.com/results?

search... n&search_type -

and these refer to a tribute record

https://www,louisianamusicfactory.com...ProductID=5535

Would you be one and the same as the Dave Lloyd I knew at the Salutation, Warwick Castle, The Lodge at Solihull, and elsewhere? I was usually to be espied supping with my friends Grampus, Feet, and Harry-the-Tater. The first two nicknames were very early Claudisms.

Cheers,

Big Gee

Posting 35:

June 29th, 2008, 23:12

No, sorry, Lloyd is my first name - and I have no musical connection or knowledge, other than restoring a pianola in the 1970s!

Join Date: Jun 2007 Location: Maypole, formerly Kings Norton and Edgbaston

Last edited by a moderator:
Posting 36:

June 30th, 2008, 19:45 #36
Big Gee

Journeyman Brummie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd H No, sorry, Lloyd is my first name - and I have no musical connection or knowledge, other than restoring a pianola in the 1970s!

Thought I'd ask, as the Dave Lloyd I knew also lived in Edgbaston at one time.

I enjoyed your links, though! Old Dan never gave it less than everything, did he?

Big Gee

Posting 37:

July 2nd, 2008, 16.38

paul spedding
Neophyte Brummie

Maurice and all the others on this thread. Photo of Dan Pawson at the Barrel, Summer Lane, Me on Drums, Brian (Smiley) Helliwell on Guitar and "Spock" on Sax.
Other pubs of note>>> The Greyhound, Holloway Head. The Salutation, Summer Lane.
Enjoy the memories from one of my 24 scrapbooks!
SPUD

Attached thumbnails

(Ed. Lord Richard - three thumbnails. Can Spud re-post them?)

Posting 38

July 7th, 2008, 22:57 #38

Lindsay

Neophyte Brummie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Gee
Would you be one and the same as the Dave Lloyd I
knew at the Salutation, Warwick Castle, The Lodge at Solihull, and elsewhere? I was usually to be espied supping with my friends Grampus, Feet, and Harry-the-Tater. The first two nicknames were very early Claudisms.

Cheers,

Big Gee

Hi Big G it has been a bit quiet on here of late. I have a copy of the Lord Richard recording of Dan that is mentioned in your post. It's brilliant -1 wonder where Lord Richard has been since Claude's funeral. Not still sitting on that wall in Solihull where he said Claude used to pick him up in those long-ago days. Maybe someone should go and look!
Oh btw Claude had a nickname for my daughter Alison. "Snowflake". She was a little girl with blonde hair and was about 4 years old when he first met her. She has just celebrated her 24th birthday and has a daughter of her own who is nearly 7....

Posting 39:

July 8th, 2008, 20:00 #39
Big Gee

Journeyman Brummie

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul spedding
Maurice and all others on this thread,Photo of Dan Pawson at The Barrel,Summer Lane.Me on Drums,Brian (smiley) Helliwell on Guitar and "Spock" on Sax.
Other Pubs of note>>> The Greyhound,Holloway Head.
The Salutation,Summer Lane.
Enjoy the memories from one of my 24 scrapbooks I
SPUD.

Hi Spud,

My God, your photos bring back memories! I remember Smiley and Spock, the latter in particular. I also remember The Greyhound, famed for its draught cider and the number of partially-paralysed bodies in the vicinty after chucking-out time. A good Friday night was to meet at The Greyhound, get numb on the cider, then somehow make it down to The Salutation to sober up on their mild. I loved the Sally - one of the pubs in Brum. John Minion on the door, the Artesians on stage, my mate Grampus leaning at an angle of 45 degrees and not spilling a drop....

I can recall coming out of The Sally early one Saturday morn to be accosted by a hairy gent of the road who asked me for a quid for a cup of tea. "A quid?!?" That was in the days when a pint was less than lOp. "Yerst", he said, deadpan.

"I'm a big tipper",

Best,

Big Gee

Posting 40:

July 18th, 2008, 18:39 #40
mossg
Novice Brummie

Paul.
Great photos,they bring back some great memories. Keep
them coming.
Maurice.