• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Cutler Family Bartley Green-schools-

Chemist... Lee Hurst, Karl, Ian and Sonra.
The two brothers who lived above the Chemist in Dettonford road were Mickey and Trevor Smith, they originated in the London area and spoke with Cockney type accents, Trevor was the younger of the two and quite a nice lad although his brother Mickey had a bad reputation.

Graham and Keith (youngest) had an older brother. He’d be around 78-80 now but I don’t know his name.
I remember the eldest Whitehouse brother was named Alan and the next eldest was Robert, I was in the same year as Graham whom I later met in the late 1970's, he was a Police Officer by then.

I only remember Bartley Green from the fifty's, 52/59, Hasbury Road, Adams Hill, it was a beautiful place for a kid, open fields , the blue bell wood, open farm land and hay ricks, the Beeches, Iley, and it was like living in a country village , but a penny bus ride to the greatest industrial city in GB. flowing streams, ton's of wild life, heaven, I believe its gone down hill a bit since then, but I have my memories!!!!!

I only remember Bartley Green from the fifty's, 52/59, Hasbury Road, Adams Hill, it was a beautiful place for a kid, open fields , the blue bell wood, open farm land and hay ricks, the Beeches, Iley, and it was like living in a country village , but a penny bus ride to the greatest industrial city in GB. flowing streams, ton's of wild life, heaven, I believe its gone down hill a bit since then, but I have my memories!!!!!
You missed out the "Rezza"... Bill Oddie of the TV comedy trio the "Goodies" lived in Quinton and used to go to the "Rezza" bird watching (the feathered kind) as a kid.

Yes I did, and when a kid opposite the Bluebell woods, we would slip int to the Rezza, through a bent pole in the fence, were there was a sort of sump , not deep, built of engineering blue brick,with a large pipe, which ran through it with water at the bottom, full of stickle backs frogs and newts,which we put in glass jars. When back there a decade or so ago I drove over the long road towards Weoley Castle, and stopped at the sort of seat half way across, and just stood looking out across the Rezza. I felt like a little 7 year old again

Yes I did, and when a kid opposite the Bluebell woods, we would slip int to the Rezza, through a bent pole in the fence, were there was a sort of sump , not deep, built of engineering blue brick,with a large pipe, which ran through it with water at the bottom, full of stickle backs frogs and newts,which we put in glass jars. When back there a decade or so ago I drove over the long road towards Weoley Castle, and stopped at the sort of seat half way across, and just stood looking out across the Rezza. I felt like a little 7 year old again
Yeah I remember coming down Frankley Beeches hill full pelt on my bike no worries in those days (late 1950's) very few cars about, I'm sure that there used to be a steam train that went from Harborne (Chad Valley?) via Illey, I knew all of those places from bird nesting, Clent hills, the Lickeys and another favourite haunt of ours was Lapal canal.

Yes, went to the lapal fishing with my then mat Mark, it was dis used in those days and full of weed etc, Dad would walk us on a Sunday to the Black Horse Pub Illey, and we could hear the steam train whistles, there, I believe they stopped in the mid 60's, sometimes walk right over to the Blue Bird factory. just before Illey , high on a hill over looking the village was a huge Tithe Barn, with thatched roof, where mushrooms grew in abundance, we picked them with dad, all gone now, M5 services are where it was. In the row of cottages in Illey lived old Jack, who brewed his own ginger beer in a large bath tub, with "Bob" , his old Jack Russell dad would stop and chat , jack I think was poacher, as he had all types of game hanging around in his outhouse. Golden days hope as I get in real old age I never forget as the memories are very precious...

Yeah I remember coming down Frankley Beeches hill full pelt on my bike no worries in those days (late 1950's) very few cars about, I'm sure that there used to be a steam train that went from Harborne (Chad Valley?) via Illey, I knew all of those places from bird nesting, Clent hills, the Lickeys and another favourite haunt of ours was Lapal canal.
Lapal Canal Trust are battling to restore the Dudley No. 2 canal fro the Birmingham Worcester canal junction near to Selly Oak Railway station. They have restored about 200m behind the scout hut in Gibbins Road and it has water. They’ve recently completed the new junction into the Dudley No2 canal including a winding hole and moorings. They plan to restore the original canal back to California where the Council tip used to be and create a Marina. From there they’ll cfreate a contour route through Woodgate country park towards Halesowen and ultimately join up at Hawne Marina. There a mass of legal, civil, and restoration work yet to be done but they have so much support from all areas that I’m confident it will happen, maybe not in my lifetime but it will happen. Have a look at their web site and Facebook pages.

I have a photo from Birmingham mail, my husband and Dave Skipp jumping in there

Yes, went to the lapal fishing with my then mat Mark, it was dis used in those days and full of weed etc, Dad would walk us on a Sunday to the Black Horse Pub Illey, and we could hear the steam train whistles, there, I believe they stopped in the mid 60's, sometimes walk right over to the Blue Bird factory. just before Illey , high on a hill over looking the village was a huge Tithe Barn, with thatched roof, where mushrooms grew in abundance, we picked them with dad, all gone now, M5 services are where it was. In the row of cottages in Illey lived old Jack, who brewed his own ginger beer in a large bath tub, with "Bob" , his old Jack Russell dad would stop and chat , jack I think was poacher, as he had all types of game hanging around in his outhouse. Golden days hope as I get in real old age I never forget as the memories are very precious...
Canal having full refurbishment at the minute

Hi Mr Fin,
thanks for your reply. I have been researching the Cutler, Pittman and Walker families in Northfield for awhile, but your post has given me a clearer idea of exactly where the house was ( or at least one of them). There seem to have been several Joseph Cutlers and William Cutlers - not necessarily related...
Thanks again,

Attachments

• 20221226_101357.jpg
    20221226_101357.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 14
Re: Bartley Green-schools-cutler Family

chris did you know barry and carol whipps, they went with me to the old and the new st michaels, carol died from pnewmonia and was buried at the old st michaels church about 1956, mr gurney was the vicar, and we had such great christmas partys at the old "annex" next to the vicarage.
paul stacey
Hi, I have just joined this site. My name is Louise Casey and I lived across the road from the Whipps in Scotland Lane. My mom Ruth Casey was very fond of Carol Whipps who died before I was born. When I was 5 years of age I was a bridesmaid at Barry's wedding about 1965, he married an Irish girl and later got divorce.
I knew all the Whipps, (Winnie the mother) Barry, Gary, Jackie and Maureen. Can't remember Mr Whipps name possible John.
I went to St Michael's School, started in 1965 at the age of 5, always used the gate in Scotland lane which went straight into the playground . Mrs Treadwell was head teacher, I remember some other teachers. Mrs Deaking, Mr Russell, Mrs Chamberlain, Mr Evingson, Mrs Salvester, Mrs Arcull would come most mornings and tutor the kids in the staff room who could not spell very well, I was one of them, I remember she would give us a smack quite often for getting words wrong.
I remember the farmer Mr Bullock, he chased us once with his rifle because we were hiding in the cornfield when he was cutting it, we ran for our lives a lad called Nigel decided to climb a tree and hide from him that ended badly, he fell out the tree and broke his arm.
Happy days

Hello Louise, and welcome to the Forum, Carol was my first experience of death and affected greatly as a child, Barry was my best friend way back then. As kids we would all go to the "ressa", and on the way back would go into farmer Bullocks field by Scotland Road , where it bent down towards the Ressa, and make forts from his straw hucks, made quite a mess. he came with his dogs gun and son and we all had to go to the farm where our parents were called. The upshot was we all had to help with the harvesting of potatoes and sprouts , in the autumn when the frost cam early, and our hands were black with cold, we were kids of 6 and 7 years of age remember, hard work, Old man Bullock called it " Spud Hucking ", any way I remember going into a big old fashioned kitchen, with a blazing fire and having a huge fried breakfast!!

Back