• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Cumberland House

Z

Zimbo

Anyone got any info on this building?

It isn't mentioned in Norman Bartlams book andd there is little info about it anywhere.
When was it built?
What went on there and is it shut down now? It looks empty, but there seems to be some lights left on.

If I remember correctly Cumberland house was/is the HQ of the TGWU and it also housed the HQ of Birmingham's Department of Transport. We used to deal with all our Operators Licenses from there.

I thing the Housing Dept HQ was on the other side of the road and it was called Bush House.

Phil

Yes Cumberland House was the offices of the Midlands area Traffic Commissioner (John Mervyn Pugh when I used to deal with his depatment - sadly he passed away earlier this year) and the TGWU offices were nearby if not next door (I was a TGWU convenor for Midland Red West's Birmingham operations in the 80's & 90's.)

Back