• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

CROWN GREEN BOWLING

Hello there, Crown Green Bowling is alive and well in Derby, I live about 100 yards from Littleover Bowls club, there be about ten or more leagues, when I lived in Burton
Crown Green was a religion, Bernard

Yes Ian your right both greens were side by side ..had a few goes at the crown green myself ..I must have been the worst bowler ever

Hi all. Contrary to popular belief, Crown Green bowls was VERY competetive, very noisy, and played by a much younger crowd than it's Flat Green cousins (who were mainly white uniformed, properly shod, and much better behaved. And older of course.

I was lucky enough to have played in the W&W top divisions from 1960 until 1990 (when I took up golf because of the dwindling behavioural standards!), even Captained these sides for a spell. Started with the Richmond then to the Broadway and finally the Yew Tree, then back to the Richmond. The Richmond still bowls but now does so at the Coop Club grounds in Yardley, as the Green that Hitler tried so hard to destroy with a bomb right in the centre of the Crown in April 1941, is now a Health Centre. Notice in fact all these pubs and clubs have now been demolished and/or replaced, as are practically ALL the Clubs listed in the 1974 Fixture Lists...and they call this progress?.

Dennis

Hi all. Contrary to popular belief, Crown Green bowls was VERY competetive, very noisy, and played by a much younger crowd than it's Flat Green cousins (who were mainly white uniformed, properly shod, and much better behaved. And older of course.

I was lucky enough to have played in the W&W top divisions from 1960 until 1990 (when I took up golf because of the dwindling behavioural standards!), even Captained these sides for a spell. Started with the Richmond then to the Broadway and finally the Yew Tree, then back to the Richmond. The Richmond still bowls but now does so at the Coop Club grounds in Yardley, as the Green that Hitler tried so hard to destroy with a bomb right in the centre of the Crown in April 1941, is now a Health Centre. Notice in fact all these pubs and clubs have now been demolished and/or replaced, as are practically ALL the Clubs listed in the 1974 Fixture Lists...and they call this progress?.

Dennis

The Richmond are still going and after a spell in a park in chelmsley wood they now play at the Erdington Conservative club Lead by a man you may remember Tony Freeth.

I would love to see some pictures of old greens if anybody has any, especially the Norton where I started my playing career. I now bowl at ward end cons after a spell at the beaufort. It is amasing how many greens have gone and I recently read on here that the Lad in the lane has one, though I have never heard this anywhere else but here and it doesn't show up on a greens that no longer exist thread on a bowling forum I frequent.

https://www.talkingbowls.com/viewtopic.php?t=140&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=greens&start=50

Maybe some people know these greens and have some stories or pictures they can share before they are lost forever.

It's nice to see old threads again and the information can always be updated. I think you may know my brother Bob Jennings he has bowled at the places you mention.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Wendy, the name Jennings is ringing so many bells but I can't put a face to the name. It was in the eighties when I bowled at the Norton and I was about 13ish I also bowled for the forget me not as a younster.

hi ypauly
did you ever play on the ward end exservice club bowling green it was one of the best in the midlands
alot of championships was played there it was a fine and lovely flat and green ; it was a shame how tht went to peices ;
i think it was the dwindleing of the older generation that killed it off
best wishes Astonian;

My brother started young playing in Sutton. He has played at most clubs around Brum and he now plays at Cleobry Mortimer. He won the sheild there in 2011 then diagnosed with throat cancer. He has beaten that and now back playing when the weather warms up.

Here he is on the right receiving the sheild.

View attachment 85068

The Richmond are still going and after a spell in a park in chelmsley wood they now play at the Erdington Conservative club Lead by a man you may remember Tony Freeth.

I would love to see some pictures of old greens if anybody has any, especially the Norton where I started my playing career. I now bowl at ward end cons after a spell at the beaufort. It is amasing how many greens have gone and I recently read on here that the Lad in the lane has one, though I have never heard this anywhere else but here and it doesn't show up on a greens that no longer exist thread on a bowling forum I frequent.

https://www.talkingbowls.com/viewtopic.php?t=140&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=greens&start=50

Maybe some people know these greens and have some stories or pictures they can share before they are lost forever.

Freethy? Great old pal. Ask him to sing Delilah for me! Had over tweny years of fun with him and his family on and off the Green...here's a few photos from my vaults....

1. Ron Wylie (BCFC) and my bro after a cahrity Bowls match in the 70s at the Broadway
2. Boadway Wednesday side
3 Swan BC (dad)
4. Richmond BC late 50s
5. Richmond BC 1985 at the Good Companions green...Freethy 7th from left, middle back row... me three from left back row

Bowls211.jpgBroadway Wed Side 1970.jpgDad wins Cup  Fox and Goose .jpgRichmond BC 1958.jpgRichmond BC 1985.jpg

Thanks dennis that's exactly the kind of things I am after, All good memories from a great game. I really am suprised that bowling isn't more popular because I can't think of a better way to spend a few hours.

Freethy has been organising a charity event at the richmonds new home (erdington cons) https://www.talkingbowls.com/viewtopic.php?t=21485 You may want to pop in and have a pint with your old pals. Unfortunately I am playing in a friendly against the bradford at the same time.

My brother started young playing in Sutton. He has played at most clubs around Brum and he now plays at Cleobry Mortimer. He won the sheild there in 2011 then diagnosed with throat cancer. He has beaten that and now back playing when the weather warms up.

Here he is on the right receiving the sheild.

View attachment 85068
The face isn't familiar unfortunately, we must have been like ships in the night.

My husband Steve and his brothers Jeff and John started bowling at Stirchley Park in the late 1960's. (I have a great photo of the team which I will sort out and post). From there Steve bowled for Highbury, Old House at Home, Kings Heath Park, Yardley Wood Social and Warwick & Worcester County before moving to Australia.
I started bowling for Highbury, moved to the Baldwin and Hall Green and also played 26 games for Warwickshire Ladies County.
Great game to play.

I can recall watching bowls matches in the 1960s at the St Bernards Grange pub in Sheldon. Does anyone else remember it too by any chance?

Hi Bearnard
When I was a kid I was always in Aston park whether I had just come from school or what ever
In the week especially in summer days of holidays I was always interested in bowls
And in Aston park they had two or three crown greens as I recall it
The first one was at the side of Aston Hall buildings , I think that was for the Aston League
For practicing and for clubs competitions this is the side of the Main entrance of the front
Doors ,if you stood at those front doors on your remediate left you had various windows
Of the ground level of the house on your right at the front doors there was an arch way
Leading to another garden once through the arch turn right and walk towards the building
There was the tea rooms with another arch way bringing face to face of an hill
Walk down to Aston parish church but getting back to your front door
Turn around and walk on your right hand backwards and walk around the hall
There you would have been confronted with a lot of long wooden benches
That's where the 1st green was , then walk around further to the other aside of the building
Is which and where I always to myself redeem to be the front of the house
Well you would walk and step down about six steps quite wide ones
There was your match play offs green then you would walk further down a couple of steps again
And then you would have seen the statue of peter pan playing a large flute in the middle
Of a very well and excellent crown green, and the next green down in laid
Was the very special crown green which was sacred for anybody to walk over
That was the championship grand play offs for those whom was good enough to win
The games title
I have seen many a crown green pitches that Aston park green was the crem of creams
I know that in the end before the ward end started to go down the pan but they
Was second to none in my eyes there pitch was one of the best and there players was the bees knees
Champion players I spent many days and Sundays watching these bowlers all days Sundays
At Aston Park
PS, I do not surprise peter pan is still there by any chance
Best wishes Alan,, Astonian,,,,,

The Bowling Green Pype Hayes Park in 1970 and a recent aerial view.
PMBowl.jpg

An aerial view before the air raid shelter was removed.
PypeHayes_Bowls_iOS.jpg

Last edited:
Back