• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Cromwell Street School Nechells

Hello Charles do you remember my family we lived at 3 Cromwell st,by the phone box just off grt Lister st opp the bomb peck.
our surname is Greaves,we had uncles and aunts further down they were Greaves and the Blucks? i went to loxton st and then charles Arthur st as did my older sister.
regards dereklcg.

Hi Charles Mason,
I see you are researching Raymond Vale amongst others. I remember a Raymond Vale who lived in Walter Street. I was at Charlie Arthur with his younger brother Brian and I vividly remember Raymond in his Teddy Boy suit with his tight trousers on his long skinny legs and a fag hanging out of his mouth. He was quite tall as I remember.

Hello Derek lcg & John Knight

Just a thank you for recalling details on Cromwell St. and great pics especially the red Phone Box which I can recall using.This would be around 1950 ish whilst working for Arthur Howells Plumbing (not far past your house Derek) my first main job after leaving Loco.
We had moved out of the area then to Digbeth but my folks managed the Clock Tavern in Ashted Row from 1945-50 just down from the Ashted Cinema(using the posh name out of respect) it must have been my second home.My wife also originates from Heneage St.
I am new to this Forum but am amazed how much information it contains generally and really enjoy the memory trips of the old end. Thanks again keep up the good work, Best Wishes.
Kermia (Chas)

Hello and welcome Kermia,nice to here from you, any input would be grt there,s a lot of us about, i as you have read lived by the phone box and had some great times in and around the area, happy days regards Derek.. PS have a look at my photo album,just click dereklcg. regards

Hello

I played for the Cromwell Street School football team from about 1960 to 1963. Would anyone have any photographs from that time?

My mother used to have one of the football and cricket teams but of course over the years they went missing. From memory our photograph was taken indoors and was in colour!

One way of knowing if it is the correct era is one of the kids, Paul Mustoe (easily the best player in the team), had an east asian heritage so definitely had a chinese influence around the eyes. He was Brummie through and through though.

does anyone recall all the old shops in Great Lister st
PERKS ROADLEY S HAMMONDS THE CO-OP BANISTER AND THATCER
WIMBUSH ETC
THE FISH AND CHIP SHOPIN OLIVER STREET

Hi alana,
Yes I remember all those as well as Poultons, Wimbushes, Whites Removals in Oliver Street, go to search (top right) type in anything you want to know about and you'll be amazed at what comes up.
Good luck John.

Al those great little shops there was also a sweet shop
and a paper shop straight across the road

I'm so sorry it's taken me so long to re-post these... I have not had access to the computer hard drive they were on for over a year.... I also thought I'd made a post explaining this ... and only realized I hadn't today when I came back to do the re-post now that I have access to them again...

View attachment 42339 View attachment 42338

what were the names of the reception teachers at cromwell st school..i only got as far as reception cos we moved to pype hayes.x

wish i could say i had happy memories of cromwell st 1966/71 but i had to spend a lot of time in hospital and was bullied
because of this.

I do have some photos of CA Street and a few of Cromwell St I can re-post once I have success with the new complicated method.

Photos of Cromwell Street itself before the tower blocks were built are a rare thing indeed,as are ones of Scholefield Street, and Rupert street.

Back