• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Cressall Manufacturing Company

Tony Bromley

During WW2 the Cressall Manufacturing Company had a satellite factory at Lane House Farm in Alvechurch, the village where Harry Cressall lived. Their main factory was in Birmingham but they needed somewhere for production to continue of essential war items. These involved hand weaving resistance 'nets' with wire and asbestos. There were about between twelve and twenty ladies working there, mostly part-time. My mother was manager. When I was between eight and twelve years old I occworked there during school holidays and Saturday mornings.

During WW2 the Cressall Manufacturing Company had a satellite factory at Lane House Farm in Alvechurch, the village where Harry Cressall lived. Their main factory was in Birmingham but they needed somewhere for production to continue of essential war items. These involved hand weaving resistance 'nets' with wire and asbestos. There were about between twelve and twenty ladies working there, mostly part-time. My mother was manager. When I was between eight and twelve years old I occworked there during school holidays and Saturday mornings.
Found this link for you.

1699009895303.png

Welcome to The Forum Tony, enjoy!

I note the use of asbestos there, I wonder if any or even many of the staff had health problems in later life
Most likely, problems associated with asbestos often manifest themselves around 30 years after exposure. I understand we have now passed the peak of this in 2017, however cases will continue for many years.

There is a great possibility of that as was not really banned until 1999
I'm not aware of anyone getting Asbestosis. There was certainly a lot of asbestos dust around when the looms were being set up and we would certainly have breathed some in. We just swept it up off the floor and window-sills. My mother was the most exposed as this was probably a daily occurrence for her. I only did it in the school holidays. My mother lived to 89 and I am 90.
Tony Bromley.

Back