• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Cremin Mary Ellen 1945 Marston Green Nurse

Pat56

master brummie
Trying to find out about my, long deceased, mothers early life.

Name: Mary Ellen Cremin.
DOB: 24/03/1920, Ireland (Dunmanway, Cork or Macroom, Cork ).
Occupation: Nurse, 19th Canadian General Hospital, Marston Green (1943-1948 approx.).
Siblings: Sean, Michael and Daniel (Spon Lane, West Bromwich, deceased 1959).

Any information welcome.

Can anyone let me know if it is possible to track down where people lived in 1940's Birmingham. Sorry, but I'm a total genealogy novice

The only way might be a search of the online electoral rolls - ancestry has some. The paper versions in the library are only any good if you already know an address. When did she marry and what was her married name? The problem is if she was in a nurses home it might not have come under Birmingham. At the moment the only name I found was an Eileen Cremin in 1945 at St Joseph's Hostel (all women) Princip street but no Mary Ellen.

The only way might be a search of the online electoral rolls - ancestry has some. The paper versions in the library are only any good if you already know an address. When did she marry and what was her married name? The problem is if she was in a nurses home it might not have come under Birmingham. At the moment the only name I found was an Eileen Cremin in 1945 at St Joseph's Hostel (all women) Princip street but no Mary Ellen.

Once again, thank you for showing an interest in my post.
My mother married in West Bromwich in 1955, her married name was Powell.
I have used the Birmingham library access to Ancestry, but as I now live on the far side of Herefordshire I don't get to a B'ham library too often (although might make plans for next week). Will probably take out my own subscription to Ancestry but a little reluctant at the moment as my Internet service is so poor, online searching would be frustratingly slow.

If she lived in West Bromwich then any addresses would be on their e rolls and, as far as I know they are not online. Even if you visit West Brom records office (in Smethwick) where the e rolls are kept they are not surname indexed so it would be difficult.

The marriage is registered in West Brom second quarter 1955, Mary E Cremin and Arthur E Powell. I've copied the top of the page of the register and marked in red the part you're interested in it also gives the register number and the page no on the right. John.

Attachments

• West Brom Marriages.jpg
    West Brom Marriages.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 7
Thanks you guys and gals.

As a family we are pretty much okay with things after my parents married ... I myself came along a year later, it's really the years before 55 we are finding it difficult to track down.

I'm waiting on a response from Sandwell Archives following a request for information about "The Crest" - a place that provided care for the mentally ill. Our mother nursed there at some point, probably early 50's . Out of area in West Brom, but again any information related to this place would be welcome.

Back