• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Craythorne coal merchants

Steve Crathorn

master brummie
I have notification through a "WILL" that Arthur Leonard Craythorne and Joseph Craythorne were coal merchants around 1953/1954 maybe sooner and later.

Thanks

Steve

Steve,

Here's the Kellys entries from 1955:-

Maurice

Kellys 1955 Craythorne.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Steve
No sign of Arthur or Joseph in the directories at that period, but:

1933-56 Craythorne Reuben, coal dlr. 105 Bishop st 5
Craythorne R. (D. Horner), coal mer. Banbury Street Railway goods station, Fazeley st 5
Craythorne R. & Sons, coal dlrs. 105 Bishop st 5. Midland 6609
1963-66 Craythorne R. & Sons, coal dlrs. 105 Bishop st 5. Midland 6609
Nothing for or 1932 or 1966
Maybe Arthur & Joseph worked for the Reuben business.
Mike

Thank you Maurice. That's interesting to see a Leonard Craythorne as the "hardware dealer" at the Castle Square Weoley Hill.
I have and still do occasionaly go to the shops there. Next time i go i'll look up the address.

Cheers.

Steve

Thanks Mike, it makes interesting reading. I'll do some further investigations. I suspect that Arthur and Joseph will turn out to be Reuben's sons.

Regards

Steve

Have found out via the 1911 census that Reuben, the Father of Arthur Leonard and Joseph was a professional footballer for NOTTS COUNTY before he moved back to Birmingham. Whilst a footballer he was known as BEN CRAYTHORNE. I'm going to put a "post" on the forum asking for more information. Interesting!

Steve

Back