• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Courtyards and yards of brum

Below is a phot which states it is court 3 Cheapside, which would have been next door to court 2. hHowever it does not correspond to the plan on the c1889 map below (court 3 in yelloe. court 2 in green), so I think the label is wrong. However court 2 is likely to have been similar.

map c 1889 showing courts 2 and 3 cheapside.jpg Digbeth%20Backyards%203%20Cheapside court 3.jpg

Court 12, Warwick Street. Looks like two small bird cages/boxes fixed to the wall over that lady's doorway.
Court12Warwick1.jpg
Same court but a view from the other end.
Court12Warwick2.jpg
images from Shoothill.

I wonder if anyone has got any old photos of Communication Row Ladywood. My late sister started her married life there in an old back to back. It really was a happy house. I loved visiting her as a kid.
https://binged.it/R2f7CA
https://binged.it/R2f7CA

Hello Froth just came across your post , I remember Communication Row very well . I used to live I William St , a mate of mines sister got married and moved to a house there in the late 50's

Has anyone ever seen a photo of Chequers Walk? One of my relatives were there around 1880, but I have never seen a photo. I think it was only a tiny place.

Shortie I walked up Chequers Walk many a time , It started behind what used to be an electrical wholesaler named A Berkeley , which was right on the crest of the of the incline in Granville St , then it travelled all the way up to Bath Row . I would have said a distance of about 600/700yds long possibly more

Here is a photo of my mom in her pushchair. She was born in 1826 so I guess this must have been taken around 1927/28 possibly. According to the electoral roll for 1927 her parents were living in House 3, Court 25, Brearly Street.
The picture in reply 858 from Stitcher showing Court 17 Hospital St was of interest. My Great grandparent, in 1901, were living in Court 18, House 1, Hospital St. Ten years later they were living in Court 25, house 1 Hospital St.
I have spent the last 4 hours reading through this thread from post 1. It's brilliant and a big thank you to all posters and your wonderful pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_20170820_0010  By Rami.jpg
    IMG_20170820_0010 By Rami.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 60
Here is a photo of my mom in her pushchair. She was born in 1826 so I guess this must have been taken around 1927/28 possibly. According to the electoral roll for 1927 her parents were living in House 3, Court 25, Brearly Street.
The picture in reply 858 from Stitcher showing Court 17 Hospital St was of interest. My Great grandparent, in 1901, were living in Court 18, House 1, Hospital St. Ten years later they were living in Court 25, house 1 Hospital St.
I have spent the last 4 hours reading through this thread from post 1. It's brilliant and a big thank you to all posters and your wonderful pictures.
Did you mean 1926?

No 6 Court, William Street North, and the photographer has placed his leather equipment case in the view ... he quite often did this.
1-7_6crtWilliamStNorth.jpg
image from Shoothill

In the days before each house was plumbed with it's own water supply, slum houses were served by a central water pump. This is obviously one such device as it is served by a gulley which runs to the nearst drain. It looks as if the pump handle was removed inbetween uses of this particular pump.

In the days before each house was plumbed with it's own water supply, slum houses were served by a central water pump. This is obviously one such device as it is served by a gulley which runs to the nearst drain. It looks as if the pump handle was removed inbetween uses of this particular pump.
Yes, thanks, and when you look at it closely the bottom of the wall looks damp, very damp. But don't these black and white pictures convey the grimness of it all? You can almost feel the poverty and misery looking at the picture, but I have no doubt that the people living in the houses had a certain contentment. I remember when my Dad was doing his political works in Ladywood and we went into these drab courts, most of the houses inside were bright, always immaculate and very clean and there was a great deal of pride and china dogs on show, but what was also there was a big smiley welcome. The strange thing is that in later years working for a finance company, following up on debts and litigation matters etc, the houses were never bright and welcoming, usually not very clean and you did not sit down. These were newly built or at least not very old Council Houses. I once went to repossess a motor bike, it was in pieces in the bath and the bath was disgusting. i'll refrain from describing the bathroom but 50 years on the smell is still with me.
Bob

Back