• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Cottage Lane Ladywood

Pimpernel

master brummie
Hello everyone.

In the 1851 Census some of my ancestors are recorded as living in Cottage Lane, Ladywood.

Class: HO107; Piece: 2051; Folio: 467; Page: 41; GSU roll: 87306-87307

I can't trace Cottage Lane on any map of Ladywood, presumably it's name was changed later. Can anyone help?

From the number of entries it seems a fairly substantial road with 74 numbers. In the schedule it's preceded by Nelson Street and followed by Anderton Street, so I presume it's one of the roads that lay between them, ie. Alexandra St, Carbett St, King Edwards Rd, or Shakespeare Road etc.

Below is a c 1866 map showing cottage lane in red. It would seem that it ran approximately where Summer Hill Road is now, though the more recent road changes mean it is only roughly

Mike

Position_of_cottge_lane_in_c_1866.jpg

Oh, spot on Mike, that's exactly what I needed to know! Thank you. I should get a copy of this map, is it easy to find?

Does anyone know where Cottage Lane in Ladywood was situated?
Thanks

Edit. Post moved to existing thread on the subject.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a Thread…

William Littlewood (1799-1852) lived at Cottage Lane, Ladywood, Birmingham from about 1831 until his death in 1852. He is listed as a licensed victualler of the same address on the 1841 and 1851 censuses. MikeJee's map has helped me identify the road. Could anybody please identify what the name of William' pub was. I presume trade directories may help.

• Appreciate
Reactions: RRJ
As previously said, Cottage Lane appears to be approximately where Summer Hill Street later is. On the 1880s map there is a Woodman marked on that street.

map 1880s showing woodman pub Summer Hill St.jpg

• Appreciate
Reactions: RRJ
As previously said, Cottage Lane appears to be approximately where Summer Hill Street later is. On the 1880s map there is a Woodman marked on that street.

View attachment 177689
Thanks mikejee, as always. I suppose it is too much to hope that there may be a photograph somewhere. Not 1840s/1850s obviously, but late Victorian/early 20thC. I have done a generic google search and found nothing (except the unrelated but fascinating Woodman next to the Curzon Street railway terminus).

It disappeared from Kellys between the 1915 and 1921 editions. As can be seen below it was one of those pubs removed in the period of WW1. Not clear when it ceased trading, but was being assessed fro compensation in december 1915

Birm post,. 19.12.1915.jpg

Back