• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Cooper, Jack & Joan Cooper

Solihull Chic

knowlegable brummie
Does anyone remember Jack & Joan Cooper who had a dance academy in Shirley road Acocks Green! Went there from approx 1954-1962 I remember a Carol & Jill Crackle & Margaret Green, lived in Acocks Green & Bobby & Sylvia Knight who lived in Greet very talented family!
Jack & Joan moved to Conway Wales in the late 60,s or early 70,s were they continued to entertain at the theatres there!

Does anyone remember Jack & Joan Cooper who had a dance academy in Shirley road Acocks Green! Went there from approx 1954-1962 I remember a Carol & Jill Crackle & Margaret Green, lived in Acocks Green & Bobby & Sylvia Knight who lived in Greet very talented family!
Jack & Joan moved to Conway Wales in the late 60,s or early 70,s were they continued to entertain at the theatres there!
I know Bobby knight and had the great privilege of meeting Joan on a few occasions can I help with the information you are seeking?

I know Bobby knight and had the great privilege of meeting Joan on a few occasions can I help with the information you are seeking?
Hiya Marieve ..... Thankyou so much for replying to the above! I know both Jack & Joan Cooper have both passed away! Believe Joan wrote a book of her memoirs! Of her life & career with Jack! Have very fond memories of my days dancing lessons with them & the many friends I had there! Remember Bobby playing the accordion! Just really was wanting to catch up with "Old Dancing Mates" & see how they have fared in life! Hope Bobby & His sisters are well tell him Christine Pledger (with the freckles & rich copper auburn hair!) says Hi! & would love to be able to catch up! .... Thanks again! x

Hi there, my mom went to the dance school too her name was Shirley kavanagh, she also played accordion.

Hi there, my mom went to the dance school too her name was Shirley kavanagh, she also played accordion.
I remember your Mom Cazzie! My maiden name was Christine Pledger, ask her if she remembers Margaret Green, Carol & Jill Crackle, Eileen Brookes, Are a few of the names.....

I remember Jack andJoan’s Academy. I lived in the road opposite - Botteville Road - and used to go to their shows. I remember a lovely old lady called Mrs. Moseley, who we used to call the Cat Lady (cos she used to feed all the stray cats!) whose granddaughter was always in Jack and Joan’s shows.Her name was Carol Masters.

I remember Jack andJoan’s Academy. I lived in the road opposite - Botteville Road - and used to go to their shows. I remember a lovely old lady called Mrs. Moseley, who we used to call the Cat Lady (cos she used to feed all the stray cats!) whose granddaughter was always in Jack and Joan’s shows.Her name was Carol Masters.
Hi Simon nice to read your experience of living across road from Jack & Joan Coopers Acadamy! I remember Carol Masters and her staying at her Grandmothers! Are you in touch with Carol now? .......

Hi, I have recently come into possession a scrapbook full of Jack & joan Cooper photos, news clippings souvenir programmes, theatre flyers etc, there's so much stuff dating from 1929-1957.
I have attached some photos

Attachments

• 169053442234491759650353467545.jpg
    169053442234491759650353467545.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 15
  • 16905344369138165707116398306277.jpg
    16905344369138165707116398306277.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 14
Hi Andy Keele, thanks for replying to my post about Jack & Joan Cooper, this scrap book is amazing! We’re did you find it? Does it indicate who it originally made it?
Kind regards

Hi Andy Keele, thanks for replying to my post about Jack & Joan Cooper, this scrap book is amazing! We’re did you find it? Does it indicate who it originally made it?
Kind regards
So sorry for the delay in getting back to you, I got this from a house clearance in Poynton Cheshire, I think it might have been Joan as there are 2 contracts in there which shows her weekly wage.
Regards Andy

So sorry for the delay in getting back to you, I got this from a house clearance in Poynton Cheshire, I think it might have been Joan as there are 2 contracts in there which shows her weekly wage.
Regards Andy
i always think it so sad that these little treasures do not end up being kept by the family..very often there is no family to pass them onto but more often than not when someone dies the family just get rid of their possessions as junk...however years down the line when they decide to research their family history end up regretting it...i have items belonging to various people that my brother has found dumped in skips over the years and i have posted about them on this forum in the hopes that the rightful owners will contact me and claim them...

lyn

Back