• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Conybere Street - Dymoke street development starts

barkleyplastics

Brummie babby
On the site of St Martins Flats, conybere Street and the old Dymoke street, the developers have moved in today to start building on the green grass which was once the homes of many people on this site.
Shortly the old foundations will be exposed.

I have been told there was once a pub on the corner of Dymoke street and Conybere street has anyone got any photos of this pub or the junction which once was?

Hi there I lived in that area from 1951/67 and there was never a pub on that corner to my knowledge, a shop

Yes I also think you may be getting a little mixed up, granted Dymoke ran along the boundary of St Martins flats, but I don't think Conybere street touched them at any point.

Phil

The Emily was right behind the flats on Dymoke St, then they built a new one over the Rd from the flats

Liz

This was the new Emily Arms that changed its name to the Hideout after a while. It was never a popular pub and its closed now I believe.

Phil

e703582c.jpg

Yes I also think you may be getting a little mixed up, granted Dymoke ran along the boundary of St Martins flats, but I don't think Conybere street touched them at any point.

Phil

it may have been before the 50's this map shows Dymoke street going into Conybere street and the pub was marked where the X is?

St Martins were at the other end of Dymoke St passed Angelina St and Emily , the end that was saved... I lived at the end that dissappeared in the 1950's. On the corner that is shown I'm not sure if there ever was a pub, but opposit on the other corner was Mrs Smiths shop.

St Martins were at the other end of Dymoke St passed Angelina St and Emily , the end that was saved... I lived at the end that dissappeared in the 1950's. On the corner that is shown I'm not sure if there ever was a pub, but opposit on the other corner was Mrs Smiths shop.
Remember Mrs Smiths shop well, it was there up till I left in 1967, her daughter used to help her run it, Her granddaughters went to Rea St school,

Last edited by a moderator:
Liz

This was the new Emily Arms that changed its name to the Hideout after a while. It was never a popular pub and its closed now I believe.

Phil
I have been told its a Somalian meeting place, I had photos of this one and the old one, but my computer broke and I am still trying to rescue pics.

View attachment 69958I found it this is the Emily when it was on the same side as the flats, it was demolished early 60s and the new one was built over the Rd

On the site of St Martins Flats, conybere Street and the old Dymoke street, the developers have moved in today to start building on the green grass which was once the homes of many people on this site.

I have been told there was once a pub on the corner of Dymoke street and Conybere street has anyone got any photos of this pub or the junction which once was?

Do you know what the name of the pub was your looking for, we might be able to help,

I put pic's of both Emily Arms pubs on the forum before ...I think they mabe on the St Martins Flats thread... am off to bed will look tomorrow...

it may have been before the 50's this map shows Dymoke street going into Conybere street and the pub was marked where the X is?

I realise that Dymoke Street bordered St Martins Flats, but the way you worded your query it was if you were saying that the Prince of Wales was on the corner of Dymoke Street - Conybere Street. When Conybere Street did not touch St Martins Flats at any point. I'm sorry if I failed to understand what you were saying.

Phil

Liz

Another photo of the Emily Arms when it backed on to the flats. I used the Emily occasionally in the 60's when it was used by a lot of W Grooms of Ravenhurst St drivers.

Phil

9b6acf6f.jpg

I did a little bit of a search among my collection and came up with this not very good photo of The Prince of Wales on the corner of Angelina St & Dymoke St.

Since I posted this photo I have received information that it may indeed be copyrighted, not wishing to cause the forum any embarrassment I have decided to delete it.

Phil

Remember this well, I knew lots of people who used this pub in the 60s,small world:)

I did a little bit of a search among my collection and came up with this not very good photo of The Prince of Wales on the corner of Angelina St & Dymoke St.

Phil
Now I don't remember a pub there so when did that go, would this have been on the right going up from Vaughton st

So are they knocking the school down that was built, 70s I think, on what was William Edward St,

Phil

Phil
I lived in Angelina St from 1937-1963 and to my knowledge The Prince of Wales pub was on the corner of Stanhope St and Angelina St
A family called Callagher lived in the house on the corner of Dymoke St and Angelina St my family lived several houses down from them.

Malta.

a family called Callagher lived in the house on the corner of Dymoke St and Angelina St,

Phil
I lived in Angelina St from 1937-1963 and to my knowledge The Prince of Wales pub was on the corner of Stanhope St and Angelina St
A family called Callagher lived in the house on the corner of Dymoke St and Angelina St my family lived several houses down from them.

Malta.

a family called Callagher lived in the house on the corner of Dymoke St and Angelina St,
Yes I remember the Callaghan's Christy, Johnny, Mary and their dad, never remember their mom, that's why I asked I thought maybe their house had been a pub before, they lived on the corner all the time I was there

I've just checked it out and The Prince of Wales was at 91 Angelina Street, which was on or near the corner of Stanhope Street. It just goes to show how much you can trust these old photos, the photo I posted with Angelina St - Dymoke St printed on the building was just as it came and I made no alterations to it at all.

Phil

Hi I think this is the corner of Dymoke St Angelina St, little shop Storers, further along Dymoke St was an outdoor where you could buy a jug of draught beer, on the far corner Dymoke St Conybere St was another little shop Smiths.
393601_308510742492705_100000013464391_1321193_1559004006_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My sister and I knew Alic Callagher really well, he was in my sister's class at Rea St school
The family I remember were Callaghan, they were a bit older than me, I never remember their mom being there, and don't remember an Alec, not to say there wasn't one, they moved into the flats, when the area was being demolished, and stayed there until they were demolished

Elizabeth I was answering Malta post #19... We met up with Alic again when I was over in 1986, he had some kind of car business then

A family called Callagher lived in the house on the corner of Dymoke St and
Angelina St my family lived several houses down from them.

I also think I have found the answer to the question about the Pub on Conybere St...... from an old Kelly's and the reason for the confusion about The Prince of Wales being in Dymoke St....
The Princess of Wales was on the corner of Conybere St and Dymoke St and The Prince of Wales was on the corner of Ryland St and Angelina St.

View attachment 70143

And another old pic' of The Emily Arms when the houses were there before the St Martins Flats... must be around 1930

Last edited:
The streets around St martins flats boundry were Anglina St ,Dymock St, Leopold St and Vaughton St and there was no pub on the couner of Dymock St and Conybere St as I lived there in the
from 1937 to 1963

Elizabeth I was answering Malta post #19... We met up with Alic again when I was over in 1986, he had some kind of car business then

I also think I have found the answer to the question about the Pub on Conybere St...... from an old Kelly's and the reason for the confusion about The Prince of Wales being in Dymoke St....
The Princess of Wales was on the corner of Conybere St and Dymoke St and The Prince of Wales was on the corner of Ryland St and Angelina St.

attachment.php

And another old pic' of The Emily Arms when the houses were there before the St Martins Flats... must be around 1930

Sorry I thought we had the surnames mixed up, :)

No prob's Elizabeth I thought that was what happened...
I also noticed my attachment of the Kelly's had disappeared, so have now fixed it... :)

great,foto.phil..i never knew, the pub was there, right next to the flats, it had long gone, i think when we played on the waste ground back in the 60s,..i remember the new one,[emily arms] by st ALBANS SCH...years ago.. any fotos, of the pen, in the flats,...thanks,..

I lived in Dymoke st No 68, 4 doors away from from Freeths pawn shop on the corner of Dymoke st and Angelina st. Our house was in the past a shoe repair shop it still had the name above our large front window BECROFTS ( hope that's spelt right) I went to St.Albans school and for my last year to St. Alban's annexe in McDonald st.the old ( I think St Peters I THINK.) Left school in 1950 I and my wife still going strong at age 88 been married almost 67 years love her to bits perhaps I better shut up now bye.

Back