• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Convalescent Home

RogFromBrum

knowlegable brummie
In 1956, aged about 6, I was taken very seriously ill and spent a month in Dudley Road Hospital, two weeks of which were in an oxygen tent with a tracheostomy tube in place. On discharge from hospital, I was then sent to a children's convalescence home for a month.
I'm trying to find out more about this home, which I recall was located near Loughborough. Searching online, I suspect it may have been the Charnwood Forest Convalescent Home, which had an accommodation building for children at that time.

Charnwood Forest Convalescent Home

A strong memory I have is of the nurses taking us out for a walk each day in the woods and we always went past the driveway of an isolated house. We were told that a witch lived in this house and that our lives depended on us not being seen as we crossed the end of the driveway. Of course, we were all scared witless so we would dash across as fast as we could go, heads down. We never saw the occupants of the house and I don’t know whether they ever saw us – and, if they did, what they made of us scurrying past.

Did anyone else on this forum go from Birmingham to a convalescent home, as a child, around that time? And was it Charnwood?

Attachments

• woodhouse-eaves-the-children-s-convalescent-home-c1955_w367024_large.jpg
    woodhouse-eaves-the-children-s-convalescent-home-c1955_w367024_large.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 2
These maps are little earlier (1929), the first shows the convalescent home for children to the south of Woodhouse Eaves and the second one for women a little further south...

0 - Charn 1.jpg 0 - Charn 2.jpg

My mom was in a convalescent home as a child in the 1950s in Malvern, recovering from scarlet fever I think.

Back