• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Construction of the M6, Birmingham section (c1971)

Imogen

Brummie babby
M6 construction 1.jpgM6 construction 2.jpg

These are 2 pictures which I took around 1971, of the M6 construction. Photo taken from the top of the bank on Newport Road, looking toward Castle Vale Estate.

I worked on the on the M6 on that 3 mile stretch.Enjoyed going to work them days.

I remember being at school on the day the M6 opened, although we had no idea that it was being opened on that day. There was a sudden shriek in the library, (which overlooked this part of the M6). This was followed by; "Look! Cars!"
I must say- rather like the M25- where would we be without it?!

I wonder how true the rumour is that certain underworld gangs got rid of enemies by burying them in the concrete piles of Spaghetti Junction. It takes some believing, but just maybe ????

Must admit, I haven't heard that one, but I'm sure that the morning commute would be delighted at the prospect of an exhumation...

Shankalamb we were only talking about that last month in the Button Oak. It was well talked about around that time. Welcome to the forum. Jean.

In the early seventies, there was a documentary broadcast on TV featuring an interview with a ‘gangland’ character. He claimed that he would ‘bump’ someone off for £1,000, and showed the reporter a hand gun.

He was asked about the fate of any of the other underworld people, who seemed to have disappeared. He told the reporter that they had put one body through a mincer and fed it to pigs and the other one was ‘holding up the motorway’.

He briefly said they put the body into the shuttering which was subsequently filled with concrete.

There was also a TV series called ‘Big Breadwinner Hog’, a short series about a couple of criminal gangs. In one scene, the mother of a main character had died and was cast into a concrete lintel.

If anything, it was food for speculation.

Morturn I don't mind the food for speculation but the food for pigs gives me the creeps. Jean.

Hi Jean,

But what an eco friendly method of recycling!

We eat them, they eat us, we eat them...............

Kind regards

Dave

Back