• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

colour black and white photo's

aggie2347

master brummie
Hiya, I would like to colour a black and white photo of yours truly taking part in Trooping the colour 1959. I would appreciate any advice on howto do it or someone to do it for me for which I would cover the cost photo's attached. AggieKen St Jame's Palace sentry change-1.jpgken chelsea 1959.jpgKen on guard duty St Jame's Palace 1959.jpg

Hiya aggie,

While I can't help with your technical question - when was your unit issued with the SLR ?

That's the year I was posted to BAOR and we still had the .303 at that time.

hi aggie we do have some members who with the right programme enjoy enjoy adding colour to old black and whites so i have moved this thread to our picture restoration section where it may get noticed a bit more hopefully someone will be able to help you

lyn

Last edited:
I am assuming you wish to colour a digital image? You really need a programme like Photoshop or Photoshop elements. There are others around, and there are some programmes that will colour images automatically, but Photoshop is what I use and know and it gives you complete control over the end result.

As always with Photoshop there are a number of different ways to achieve the same effect, but this works for me

You need to add a new layer to the images and change the blending mode to color. The select a soft edge brush and paint in the colours you want. I am simplifying the process a little bit, as you can get into sections too. I don't have very good colour vision so I avoid colouring photos, but will help out if someone else cannot.

Here are a couple of skin and hair colour pallets that may be helpful to any who want a go. They are marked as copyright, but the author put them on the net as a free to use download as long as you don't sell them for profit

skintones.jpghaircolor.jpg

Thanks everyone for their good advice especially morturn (I will get a copy of Photoshop) and astoness to get me more coverage. With regard to maypolebaz on return to Chelsea from Germany early 1959 our 303s were exchanged for the Belgium FN and arms training commenced ready for public duties hence the photos that's all I can remember. Aggie

Hi aggie - I'm no expert and using my standard laptop with a mouse and my shaky hand produced the following example using a free down-loadable app called GIMP which works like most advanced photo editors but is not user friendly until you get used to it. Someone with more patience and time could produce a much better job. It looks reasonable on a small screen but would not look good printed at say A4 size.
Ken St Jame's Palace sentry change-1colw.jpg

Oldmohawk you are a star. Many thanks for an excellent job it made my day to see myself in colour a photo that I never knew existed. Cheers aggie

Back