• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Coal Yard - Victoria Road

chocks2

master brummie
I.ve been told that my dad and his brothers when they were lads in the 30's used to push a wooden barrow down to a coal yard in Victoria Road and deliver sacks in the local area, between them they were able to "borrow" enough coal to heat their house. I have no other information about this yard, has anyone got any info on this coal yard or any stories about it.

There were several victoria roads. None of them is listed as having a coal dealer in 1932, but it would help to know which one before searching other years
Mike

Chocks there was one in Park Lane owned by Bertha Eggison would that have been the one?. Jean.

I was told that it was Victoria Rd Aston near the junction with Lichfield Rd but I suppose it could have been Park Lane.

Chocks Park Lane ran off Lichfield road. I am sure Astonian and Sylvia Sayers have more info regards the coal yard. Will try and find the previous threads for you. Jean.

The coal Yard.... Little me pushing a barrow up Victoria Road....
I am sure it was Ilsleys or something like that.

Talking of coal yards, does anyone remember Bembows coal yard in Ralph Road, Alum Rock in the 50's?
WendyP

Local Coal Merchants in 1940 Research by John K Colin

Greaves26Bartons BankPickering5Beacon HillThornton55Beales StWorrall18Bright StDavidson35Burlington StBaglin130Cliffton RdParkerback of 171Cliffton RdWeaver28Gladstone RdWard62Grosvenor RdShaw25Lodge RdHasgoodLynton RdEggisonback of 65Miller StEggison176Park LaneRanford21Powell StNorbury82aPugh RdKnowlesQueens RdBrotherhoodTalford St Allen back of 74Vicarage Rd Hall back of 27Whitehead St

Talking of coal yards, does anyone remember Bembows coal yard in Ralph Road, Alum Rock in the 50's?
WendyP
Hi Wendy my husband lived opposite the Benbows house, the coal yard was at the back and was accessed via a drive/entry opposite the Ralph Road Club. This is where my husband played as a lad with his mates. He was fascinated by the smell of horses and hay which were a bit alien in this area.

Back