• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Clyno and AJS dealerschip in Birmingham

Ermin Claeys

Brummie babby
Hello,

It seem Chamberlain, King and Jones, Ltd., Holloway Head, Birmingham were the local AJS dealer for AJS cars around 1930 - 1932.
Chamberlain, King and Jones, Ltd., was not the name of the dealership I suppose, but, I suppose they were financially involved in a car or motorcycle dealerschip in Birmingham with address Holloway Head, Birmingham. This dealership can be a Clyno or AJS dearship, but also a garage dealing with this make of cars or other car companies.

So, my question is of someone has knowledge of garages in the Holloway Head around 1925 - 1932.

Thanks,

Ermin Claeys, Belgium

Jance,,

Thanks for having an aswer so soon.
More questions of course.
Was Holloway Head a kind of industrial area in Birmingham?
Is Suffolk street near by Holloway Head or part of this?
Are there pictures of this location in 1932?

Regards,

Ermin

If you click here you will find a map - much earlier than 1932 (am working on that). The blue button at the bottom left slides to reveal a modern view of the area today.
I don't think it was industrial - some businesses and some poor housing.
As far as I can tell the dealership was near to the corner with Marshall Street. Ho;;oway Head led onto Suffolk street

Here is a map from the 1950s, which shows it was between Marshall & Blucher St, which would make me think that it wa sprobably the alrge area in the middle of the space between these two roads

ScreenHunter 7061.jpg

I'm not sure how they became connected with cars as most references seem to refer to them as Furniture and Carpet dealers.

Not exactly a good photo, but pretty sure 67=77 are where red line in on this 1935 aerial photo

Holloway head 1935 showing nos 67-77.jpg

Hallo all there over in Birmingham.

Birmngham Daily Gazette June 1932
View attachment 186484
Hallo,

I am supprised with all what you found.
My aim was to know if there was a Chamberlain garage in Birmingham, but I got a lot more information.
Thanks for this.
So knowing that it is possible to locate the Chamberlain garage at Holloway Head, I was wondering if you may know from when on this Chamberlain garage was there.

Regards, ERmin

It is not listed in the 1924 Kellys directory, which might have referred to 1923. Indeed the site seems to be occupied by several different people, indicating that it was not then one building

If it is beween Marshall and Blucher street, on Holloway Head, why do thet also name Sufolk street who is further away?
I think Suffolk Steet might have been another set of premises.

Hi,
Concerning the numbering: 67/77 what does this means? Where there 10 numbers or was this just number 67 and number 77.
How was the street numbering then?
By us it goes: .... 63, 65, 67, 69, 71, 73, 75, 77, 79 ....
Ermin
I think it is to indicate that the size of the site is a large one. If, for example, houses had been built they would have been numbered from 67 to 77 (odd numbers) as you indicated.

I think the Holloway Head site was originally furniture as well. Quite a number of adverts around the country like this one in Yorkshire in 1929

1701191290012.png

The original firm was dissolved in 1883 when it looks as if Emily Chamberlain left the company but King and Jones continued it under the same name. London Gazette 29th May 1883.
1701191938553.png

I think Suffolk Steet might have been another set of premises.

I think it is to indicate that the size of the site is a large one. If, for example, houses had been built they would have been numbered from 67 to 77 (odd numbers) as you indicated.
So skipping number for later not having to change all house numbers?
So Evans can come in on number 67.
Do you have information about the owners of :
Central Motor Co. (Birmingham), Ltd., Suffolk Pl., John Bright St., Birmingham. Tel. 2390 Midland.
and
Birmingham Garages, Ltd, Navigation St. and John Bright St., Seven (Severn?) St. and Suffolk St., Birmingham. Tel. Midland 1023-6.

Ermin

May I ask, who was Joseph Chamberlain, the founder of Chamberlain King and Jones Ltd? Was he also the Joseph Chamberlain (8 July 1836 – 2 July 1914), a British statesman,?

Thanks,

Ermin

I don't think so. Emily seems to be the widow of Joseph a furniture maker.
Joseph the politician had 3 wives but none called Emily.
I could be wrong and someone may know more than me.

Back