• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Clocks

Another look at the clock in this pic on the old Post & Mail building, it was quite a novelty at the time but probably would not receive a second glance these days with all the digital things we have to play with.
Phyllis-Nicklin-Brumpic_04.jpg

Pic link from Birmingham Post archive.

OM back in the 60's while serving my apprenticeship , I along with a sparks wired up the part of the digital clock that faced down towards Snow Hill, Constitution Hill etc , so I only hope Lyn (Astoness) looked at it regularly . The master clock that controlled the read out was about 2' high and 1' wide all clocks throughout the P&M were connected to this so there was never any difference between the clocks

OM back in the 60's while serving my apprenticeship , I along with a sparks wired up the part of the digital clock that faced down towards Snow Hill, Constitution Hill etc , so I only hope Lyn (Astoness) looked at it regularly . The master clock that controlled the read out was about 2' high and 1' wide all clocks throughout the P&M were connected to this so there was never any difference between the clocks
I notice the link to the pic in post#64 has gone down so I have edited the actual pic into the post.

Last edited:

sorry john i have no memory of that clock...how long was it there for

lyn

There was a digital type clock at the NEC; that alternated between time and temperature. I remember 5C, but no recollection of the date suffice to say it must have been in the winter months :D

The Exchange Clock…The Biggest Liar in Town.

In BordesleyExile’s original post on the “Exchange Building” it is mentioned….”The central tower is 110 feet high, the turret, in which there was placed a clock made by John Inshaw, to be moved by electro-magnetic power (but which is now only noted for its incorrectness), rising some 45 feet above the cornice.”
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/exchange-building.38452/

Here is December 1864 B’ham Daily Post…

Screenshot 2018-10-30 at 23.15.13.png

I have now completed the entire thread on Clocks, one thing I've noticed missing is the clock that used to be at Five Ways top of Broad St , Hagley Road , Ladywood Rd , Islington Row . I was informed by an adult when I was a nipper that Goering's Luftwaffe help move this clock three times jduring the war .

I just wish that the people who owned the buildings with clocks would maintain them so they would always tell the correct time.

Two clocks within spitting distance on the Bearwood Road. One on top of the Bear (Tempus fugit - time flies) and a more modern one across the road.

Was wondering if the bears spout rainwater, like gargoyles? Maybe not, probably just decorative. Viv.

9FA15A64-6BF3-4620-BC59-7F1FBCC70F3F.jpeg
4BA077F8-2F89-4F3B-BECE-B603C46ECB98.jpeg

In 1945 Big Brum remained unlit due to WW2 damage.And in 1948 the hours of 8-10 and 4-6 were blacked out on public clocks. Viv.

Attachments

• 4E1548A8-9F85-4332-8852-C8B686747DA9.jpeg
    4E1548A8-9F85-4332-8852-C8B686747DA9.jpeg
    167 KB · Views: 21
  • BE034968-F73E-474D-9196-F7CB620BA38B.jpeg
    BE034968-F73E-474D-9196-F7CB620BA38B.jpeg
    129.6 KB · Views: 19
Can’t say I’ve ever seen a photo of a clock with the numbers blacked out (1948 energy saving reminder). How did they do it ? Paint on the clock face ? Or did they put some sort of cover over the numbers ? Viv.

Surely Viv they were only referring to lit clocks, and they just did no light them up in those hours

Not sure Mike as it says “to have the hours of 8-10 and 4-6 blacked out” ??? Whatever that means ! Viv.

It was part of the countries economy drive due to our industries need for energy to drive the re-building of Britains economy.

Thinking about it, I read the blacking out times as literally blacking out those numbers on the clock faces. But reading it over and over several times I can see how it refers to the clock itself being blacked out during those times. Think it’s the way it’s written. And hence why I’ve never seen a photo of the numbers on a clock face blacked out ! Gawd, got there in the end. Viv

Two clocks within spitting distance on the Bearwood Road. One on top of the Bear (Tempus fugit - time flies) and a more modern one across the road.

Was wondering if the bears spout rainwater, like gargoyles? Maybe not, probably just decorative. Viv.

View attachment 133237
View attachment 133238
No Viv, the bears don't spit rainwater! Be fun if they did though.

I've checked the time on both of those clocks and the one that used to be on Roberts & Brains funeral directors on Three Shires Oak Road many, many times walking to and from Bearwood Road to my home by Warley Woods.

This clock shown in the scene of Slade Road Stockland Green has now gone. But there are still signs of its position, two marks from the brackets which held the clock in place are above and below the modern burglar alarm.

I expect this was a useful aid for catching the tram. The photo looks about 1930s (?). I’m sure someone will correct me if wrong. I don’t remember it being there in the 1960s when I went to school nearby.

Viv.

70345FA0-C460-44BD-99CB-CB8D8EE24636.jpeg

Back