• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Clifford Street

I Also lived in clifford st between lozells/burbury st . My first job when leaving school was at a factory in William St called Jarvis,s. The smell of The Vats used to crease you when you were clocking in. 1967/68.

clifford st.... not your end of the street but hope they bring back some memories for you topsy..

lyn

Thanks for those Lyn .Our mom used to work at the factory on the right, it was called Leeks.They used to do some lovely fancyware there.

SB_187219230.jpg

Here is another one for you topsy...not the best quality im afaid...dated c 1908 at the wheeler st junction...

clifford st junc wheeler st c 1908.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Topsy what year was this photo taken.
when i lived in John St we used to have a
rag and bone man come round and it looks
like the one in the picture.

hi richard that is a pic of old tom the rag and bone man...according to our dad he toured most of the streets round there...would think the pic was taken middle to late 60s..just a guess though...

lyn

hi richard that is a pic of old tom the rag and bone man...according to our dad he toured most of the streets round there...would think the pic was taken middle to late 60s..just a guess though...

lyn

Hi Astoness thanks for that it s a great picture brings back a lot of memories
richard

Richard I could not agree more...dad was a window cleaner with quite a large round..i should know as i used to do a bit of collecting for him and he said that no matter what street he was in old tom would never be far behind...here is another one of toms horse and cart outside a terrace in guildford st...like i said he was everywhere...

court 9 guildford st.jpg
lyn

Hi Lyn thanks for the pic, It makes you wonder what ever happens to these people you used to see around your area's
from days gone by,
cheers. Richard

clifford st looking towards the bartons arms pub..

clifford%20st.jpg

the entrance to furnace lane is just out of shot on the right..

clifford%20st%20pic%202.jpg

Hello Astoness what nice picture of Clifford St.
used to be a good area to live in gone by days
genuine people like yourself and others.
always friendly. Today people are affraid to walk
around there anymore especially at night.
hope you have a golden new year
richard

hello richard..yes i have to agree with your sentiments..without the bartons arms as a landmark you would not recognise the place now..

happy new year to you and yours..

lyn

Such wonderful photos! We used to live right across the road from the Porchester pub, 1/37, dad belonged to the angling club and the darts club. I still have a couple of his darts medals, apparently he was pretty good. I remember going on "charabang" trips with lots of mums and dads and other kids to various places, mostly along the Severn river I think, where spots were numbered for the men taking part in the fishing competion and families took off up the fields to play. Woe betide any of us if we disturbed the fishermen! Can see dad now perched on his wicker fishing creel. Lovely memories.

hi jean what lovely memories you have keep em coming..just going to post you a couple of pics of the porchester arms...

lyn

Hi jean
2 pics of the Porchester arms pub..corner of Clifford and Porchester st..first one taken in 1966 the second pic taken in 1959..hoping one day someone will recognise the kids and the man in pic 1..also in pic 2 on the right you can see the entrance to furnace lane by the lampost.

Newtown_1_46_The_Porchester_Arms_Porchester_Street_Ansells_29-10-1959-1.jpgNewtown_1_47_The_Porchester_Arms_Porchester_Street_Ansells_26-9-1966-1.jpg

oh all seems ok now, I browsed away from the first page and then came back and the pics were there. Anyway, more wonderful photos, where did you get them all from, is there a book with them in?

jean i get my pics from different sources..some are passed onto me from other collectors..some out of books..some from carl chinn..thing is ive got that many now i cant remember where i got them from...lol...so glad you like them and if you need anymore of schools roads or streets ect just let me know and i will see if i have any....

lyn

Back