• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Clarke -Peace

donjclarke

proper brummie kid
Hi,
George Frederick Clarke and George Frederick Peace were both born on 4 May 1886 in Birmingham, Warwickshire. The mother's first name for both of them was Mary Ann. I have a birth certificate of George Frederick Clarke which does not list a father, but does list his mother as Mary Ann Clarke.
On Ancestry.com I've found George Frederick Peace, with father Edward Peace, and mother, Mary Ann Peace. This Mary Ann's maiden name was Clarke. Her father was Matthew Clark and her mother's maiden name was Mary Ann Webb. Is there any possibility that George Frederick Clarke and George Frederick Peace could be the same person? There are other fairly convincing evidences that they could be the same, but I would appreciate anyone's educated guess or opinion on the matter. Thank you so much.

On the 1891 census they are in Kingston Road, Bordesley, Birmingham

Edward Peace age 41 b. Wolverhampton French polisher
Mary ann age 24 b Upton on Severn
Albert E age 6 b.Birmingham
George Frederick age 4 b. Birmingham
Francis Clarke age 20 b Upton, brother in law.

Albert Edward Peace is registered with same ref. number in 1884 as Albert Edward Clarke , I can't explain why there are 2 entries other than there is no marriage of Edward Peace and Mary Ann Clarke.

In most of these cases the mother would register them in her name and omit fathers name or they would be registered with fathers name and mothers maiden name with no mention of them not being married.

Last edited:
Hi Alberta,
Thank you for looking this up for me. I think what you're telling me is that in 1884, according to the ref. number, Albert Edward's last name was Clarke, and in 1891, his last name was Peace. As I look at the differences in age of Edward Peace and Mary Ann, I wonder if perhaps she had the children before she married Edward Peace, and then, after they were married, if they were married, the boys (Edward and George) were called Peace, but retained the mother's maiden name. I also wonder at the large age difference between Edward and Mary Ann. If there is no marriage record shown or given, is it possible that she and the boys used Peace as a last name because they were living with him? What do you think?

Hi Don,
If it helps they were both baptised as Peace.

Hockley, All Saints baptisms Edward a French polisher & Mary Ann 9 Potter St, Lancaster St.

Albert Edward Peace born July 18 1884 baptised 19 Jan 1887
George Frederick Peace born May 4 1886 baptised 19 Jan 1887

Clarkie

There are 2 entries in 1884
Albert Edward Clarke ref. 6d 273
Albert Edward Peace ref 6d 273

I have found a Edward Peace married to Harriet/Harriet Cheslin in 1879

Harriet Cheslin was born in Birmingham in 1860
in 1871 she is with her family John and Mary Ann in Great King Street

Edward Peace age 31 status married,French polisher, is living with his brother Frederick age 24,sister Elizabeth age 25 and mother Mary age 62 in Albion street
Harriet Peace is not on 1881 census neither is her mother Mary Cheslin but in 1891 the family are in Great King Street ,Harriet Cheslin , single, with her family.
May be worth obtaining the certificate for the marriage in 1879 to check addresses etc.

Back