• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Clark Ethel May - born circa 1911- married to James Smith, 1931

carrumba

proper brummie kid
Hi all.

Wondering if there is someone out there that can help me shed any light on my mother's ancestors. So far I have got her grandmother, Ethel May Clark marrying James Smith in 1931 in Erdington on 26th December. Am having trouble finding a birth entry for Ethel but I do know her father, Alfred George Sidney Clark was listed as a voter and married to Elsie Mabell Hall in 1930, living at 84 Alleyne Road, Erdington. Winifred Daisy Clark also lives there who is a witness at Ethel and James' wedding with the 84 Alleyne Road address given as their residence at time of marriage.

Any help much appreciated!

Alfred George Sydney & Elsie Mabel were at 84 Alleyne Road in 1925 electoral roll. Winifred Daisy is listed there with them in 1930, but not in 1927,

Last edited:
Thanks for that- helping build up a picture for me. My mother was born in Birmingham but later moved to Coventry and knows little of her family history. It's proving surprisingly difficult to research!
I managed to find Alfred George Sidney Clark in the 1911 census under just plain old Sidney Clark. He was a Stamper, Hot Work for The Stamping Alliance. It didn't help that Ancestry had mistranslated it as Lidney Clark Homper Hot Work. Lol.
In 1911 they were at 7 Waterworks Street in Aston and Ethel had just been born with Winiefred the elder sister. It also lists there had been another child that had died but finding entries for any of of Alfred's kids is proving remarkably difficult.

There is a birth for an Ethel M Clark in Jan/Feb/Mar qtr 1911 in Aston vol 6d, p 346
Will look for Alfred for you.
Sue

Hi, looking at 1911 census, Ethel is said to be 3 months old, so the birth below is the most likely (registered 1[SUP]st[/SUP] Quarter) as the 1911 census was taken Sunday 2 April, 1911
Marriages Jun 1906
Alfred George S Clark married Elsie Mabel Hall Aston 6d 445
Births Mar 1909
Winifred Daisy Clark Aston 6d 433
Births Mar 1911
Ethel M Clark Aston 6d 346

G,day carrumba,,,,,greyhounds still racing around Murray Lodge eh!

Only kidding & you,re most welcome here on your Mom,s & ancestors site,, Look at the Great help already,
Sistersue/Ladylinda & Mikejee are among some of the best "family tree" folks on site or anywhere in UK,

My note is just say check out this site for other "Clark,s",,there are some others on here so you may find "rellies" or they find you?
Cheers John

There are at least 5 possible births/deaths for the Clark child that died
Births Dec 1906
Mabel Minnie Clark Aston 6d 295
Deaths Dec 1907
Mabel Minnie Clark aged 1 Aston 6d 181

Births Jun 1907
Leonard Clark Aston 6d 277
Deaths Mar 1908
Leonard Clark aged 0 Aston 6d 207

Births Dec 1907
Thomas Clark Aston 6d 258a
Deaths Mar 1908
Thomas Clark aged 0 Aston 6d 300

Births Sep 1908
Edgar Clark Aston 6d 239
Deaths Sep 1908
Edgar Clark aged 0 Aston 6d 144

Births Sep 1908
John Clark Aston 6d 239
Deaths Sep 1908
John Clark aged 0 Aston 6d 146

Alfred Clarke 1891 age abt 8
Living with
Father Job age 46 - iron worker bellows maker in wood
Mother Mary Ann age 38
Siblings Isabella age 18
Ada 16
Job 14
Arthur 12
Alice 9
Alfred 8
Mary Ann 5
Laura 4
at 131 Grange Road Bordesley

In 1901
Job 56 iron worker bellows maker in wood
Mary Ann 48
Iasabella 28 ? safety worker
Ada 26 dressmaker
Alice 19 folder in boxfactory
Alfred 18 ironworker bellows maker in wood
Mary 15 ?what at instrument makers
Sam 14
Living at 323 Green lane Bordesley

I am sure someone else would have a look at the 1901 entry to see what the occupations were, I can't decipher them well!!
Sue

Wow...some excellent help here - So glad I found this site :)

Just to clarify though, I am in the original Perth in Scotland...not the 2nd rate sunny one with all the sharks. LOL! Although given the snow today, I would trade it in an instant for the Oz version ;-)

Am going to work through the suggestions here and see what I can match up to what I know. I will definitely spring another question on you guys with the Parker side!

I'll post about James Smith in the appropriate thread also. I had a quick look at the other Clarks on here as well to make sure I was not duplicating anything but will be interesting to look again once I have worked through the information here :)

Thank you all very much - very appreciated. :adoration:

Births Sep 1883
Alfred George S Clark Aston 6d 350
Deaths Jun 1945
Alfred G S Clark (birth abt 1884)
Birmingham 6d 56

purchase of Alfred and Elsie's marriage cert should give father's name and the birth cert for Alfred should give mother's maiden name in addition to father's name.
Marriages Jun 1906

You must be psychic! Just ordered the marriage certificate ten minutes ago! :friendly_wink:

Births Sep 1883
Alfred George S Clark Aston 6d 350
Deaths Jun 1945
Alfred G S Clark (birth abt 1884)
Birmingham 6d 56

purchase of Alfred and Elsie's marriage cert should give father's name and the birth cert for Alfred should give mother's maiden name in addition to father's name.
Marriages Jun 1906

Great!
The problem with the surname Clark/e is that it's nearly as commonplace as Smith! (Heir Hunters were looking for a Clark/e the other day when I was watching)
Census Enumerators have been known to add or leave off the "e" and, of course, the census is at times mistranscribed!
Good luck with your research

Linda, I watched that Heir Hunters too, would love to have access to all their stuff!!
Carrumba, good look with your research, you will get hooked on it, like us!! Have you got trial memberships with Ancestry and Find my past, if not would be well worth doing, they give you 2 weeks and then as long as you cancel your debit, don't pay for any of the research you do. FMP are also giving 50 free credits so you can download copies of the original census. Good free site is familysearch.org, managed by the Mormon church. Sorry if you already know this, but could be useful if not!
Sue

I agree... am totally hooked.
Already have worldwide membership with ancestry but their recent changes (and my absence from my research) is taking some getting used to. Searches don't seem to link up or be as easy to segment as before. Most of my research has been Ireland (fathers side) and Scotland (wifes mother and father) though it has strayed into England on 3 out of 4 of my mother-in-laws side, much to her surprise (Nottingham, Norfolk & London) all courtesy of her grandfather being stationed in Perth with the 4th Hussars! Her maiden name is Bolt and hers is the only family in Perth of that name so i have been spoilt in the ease of that research.

Really want to nail down my mother's side in Birmingham but English research seems a lot trickier than Scottish so all help is appreciated. Thanks to all.

Thanks foe all the help here. :)

I have Alfred George Sidney Clark and Elsie Mabel Hall's marriage cert. now.
Alfred G.S. Clark, aged 23, Bachelor, Stamper, 73 Aston Road - father Henry Clark who is/was a Boiler Fitter. Stamper I take as metal work as he is listed as a Metal Stamper in 1931, I think. With his father as a boiler fitter, would that just be for general industrial boilers or in connection with shipping?

Elsie Mable Hall, aged 21, Rubber Worker, 73 Aston Road - father William Edward Hall who is a Carpenter.

Married in St, Mary's Church in the Parish of Aston (Brook)? Established Church. by John Erskine Bowles. Witnesses: William Edward Hall and (Lavinia)? Eliza Hall. Lavinia was the eldest daughter of William Edward Hall as far as I have been able to gather.

It's typical that my mother has Smith and Clark as ancestor names- my mother in law has the decency to have a rare name! It's all good, though.

Haven't been on here for the longest time. I was born at Dudley Road, but bought up at 84 Alleyne Rd. My brother and sisters were all born in the front bedroom there. Our name was Smith too. My mom moved from Acocks Green to that house. Lots of memories there both good and bad, really strange to think somebody lived there before us. Always think of it as our house still!

Back