• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Civilians Roll of Honour - B'Ham Blitz

hi
tried to get on to that web address it says forbidden

To add to above :) The names are inscribed on the new "Tree of Life" monument

unveiled today by the Lord Mayor & Carl Chinn among other dignitaries,,,

This is just by St Martins Church walking down to the Markets,,, O0 John

:angel: Lynn is there anyone, or family you were looking for? As I have the full list. If so send me a PM with your email and I will send you a copy.

Chris :angel:

Last edited:
Hello Pomgolian, I'm looking for the list of those killed in the blitz and have been told you may have it. I'm looking for the Freer Family of Aston. Billy, the father worked for my father, and his family was killed in a direct hit on their air raid shelter. I'm looking for their names but also ages as I want the name and age of the youngest daughter. Kindest regards, David.
:angel: Lynn is there anyone, or family you were looking for? As I have the full list. If so send me a PM with your email and I will send you a copy.

Chris :angel:

Hello David :) There were four (4) Civilian/Bombed deaths, FREER surname :(
There is no "Billy" / William Freer on the list (B,ham Evening Mail 08/10/2005 )

Isabella age 42, Frederick Arnold age 17, Iris age 13 & Doreen age 9

Hoping this assists your researches, Best regards JohnY

Thanks John, I didn't express myself very well I'm afraid. That's the family I was looking for. Billy and his family used to come around to our house in Gladston (Gladstone) Street Sunday evenings for a sing song. I asked the youngest girl to marry me when we grew up, as kids do, that's why I wanted her name for my personel records . Billy was down the shelter checking on his family and a man living close bye came to ask him if he'd help to dig his buried wife and kids out. Billy crossed the road and a direct hit killed his loved one's. I was in the kitchen when he came around to break the news to Mom and Dad. They linked arms, stood in a circle and I've never heard before or since the howl of grieving that came from them. Very sad, but another piece in the jig saw puzzle of my life gently slips into place. Kindest regards and many many thanks, David.
Hello David :) There were four (4) Civilian/Bombed deaths, FREER surname :(
There is no "Billy" / William Freer on the list (B,ham Evening Mail 08/10/2005 )

Isabella age 42, Frederick Arnold age 17, Iris age 13 & Doreen age 9

Hoping this assists your researches, Best regards JohnY

I am at the moment building my family tree, my name is Jacqueline Freer and I have traced back 5 generations (including my son, who is the main motivation, amongst others, for my desire to complete this project) to where I believe my family were settled in Birmingham before moving onto South Africa. The first of my family was to settle in the country in the early 1900s, I was born and raised South African along with my mother and her parents, and yet still trying to bridge a gap of about 100 years in order to link genealogy as far back as Edward III in the early 1300s. I am looking for any information on Freer descendants in the UK from Birmingham and prior/post that with links across England. Specifically a "Jack" Freer who married an "Olive", they were born around 1920 and as far as I understand in Birmingham, although I stand under correction. I am looking for any information, documents, photographs of their parents and grandparents on the Freer side (which were most certainly from England). Please let me know if you have anything that might help me bridge this gap in my family history and uncover some of my linage. I am missing the links in my family from the mid 1800s through to approx 1940 with the birth of my grandfather Stuart Beresford Freer (SA born) and then his daughters. I have recently begun to research more into my family name and of course the coat of arms which we have that goes with it. Reading up on the coat of arms and the history of where it comes from with the knights of old has become of great interest to me along with English history which has led me to look at how the Freer name found itself worthy of the honor. With over 1 million family names in use and only 75000 of those linked to a coat of arms I found my interest extending from that into wanting to complete my genealogy and family tree and thereby linking it to the English courts, presuming that's where the coat of arms would have been presented from and considering that my family come from England. I can trace my name back to England although I am 3rd generation South African, aged 30. I was born under my mother's married name at the time and when I fell pregnant in 2004 I decided to change my name to my mother's maiden name so to give my son a more fitting family name and myself also obviously, I will spare you the personal history that motivated the choice (haha) and would much rather focus on the more interesting stories that my blood can tell. I of course have done so much reading over the past couple of years out of interest sake but seem to be stuck at the point my family left England for South Africa. I have a gap and I am not sure I am even trying to bridge it with the right line at all to be honest, although, I figure it should all link in together at some point. I found this page to be really helpful https://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~sfreer/blaby.html. It goes into the complete history of the Freer name through the 1800 with the Royal Decent of Freer from King Edward III at which point the diagram there shows the marriage of William Leacroft Freer to Anne Marie Hickman and then it shows and goes into a fair amount of detail about their children, grand children, wives and second wives. As I am sure you have heard quite a few times before since I image it to be a common problem is bridging the gap between my information and that which is out there. However I have no information about Jack's mother and father, brothers and sisters nor do I know how we are linked as explained above to the Royal Decent of Freer from King Edward III with the marriage of William Leacroft Freer to Anne Marie Hickman. The 100 or so years missing in between are what I am trying to work out before I try and extending my research to cover the family history of that prior to William Leacroft Freer which I believe will come from European decent with mention of Vikings, France, Holland and Belgium all in the history of the name. I have various Freer links in terms of family connections throughout the mid 1800s but need to know where exactly we would fit in there. Any information at all would help and be much appreciated. I am also looking for the earliest record of the Freer coat of arms/family crest, if at all we where enlisted to take part in a the joust and where I would be able to come by those documents. Name was Freer/Frere depending on how it was spelt at the time and as per attached crest.

Regards and Thanks

Jacqueline Freer
[email protected]

Back